Audi S5. School me please.

Draco-REX

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5457/10141438326_7d251780c0_b.jpg

Just made an offer on it. New, 4 year warranty, and I'm trying to get them to throw in the maintennance plan too.

It's a sweet ride. Responsive, comfortable, and corners like crazy. The shifter sucks, and the brake pedal is way over-boosted, and I'll have to spend some time getting the driving position the way I like it. But the brake pedal thing is to be expected these days, and the shifter is no real suprise either.

So we'll see what they say about my offer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone post up a picture of the timing chain on that v8.

they sound amazing, but are a bit slow if you're used to 400hp cars. awd, so you can drive it in the weather and be fine. my buddy owned one. i would have bought it for a fun winter daily, if not for the carbon build up issue

Dat chain

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af40/ted_kennedy/s4enginealt.jpg

Cool. I haven't put all the faces to names yet.

So the more I look into it, the more I'm sure I'd be unhappy without the sport diff. :(

I mean honestly after hearing you talk about how you drive today I think it would be something you really would like to have.

Let me know what you think of the crown gear. The DSG transmission is where it is at. I think both myself and Jones would say that.

Draco,

FWIW, I drove the DSG & 6MT B8 S4's back to back several times @ MAG and still ended up buying the DSG. I thought it fit the chassis much better vs a smaller car with a 6mt. The 6mt clutch and shifting left something to be desired IMO.

I'm a die hard 6MT guy as you know, but if I had it to do over, I'd still get the DSG. Flash/Pulley and she went 12.3 @112. Not bad for a 28mpg awd V6. That pop during shifts never gets old, ever.

I would be a huge risk for me... The guy I was working with isn't expecting me back until Wednesday, but I might swing by tomorrow and try the DSG then.

63 though...

It's worth trying, you may hate it, but it's worth finding out before you buy.

If you ever mod, they hold up a bit better to mods as well, vs swapping out a clutch at some point.

It's worth trying, you may hate it, but it's worth finding out before you buy.

If you ever mod, they hold up a bit better to mods as well, vs swapping out a clutch at some point.

I was disappointed in how the S5 shifted.. You can tell Audi tried as hard as possible to disconnect the driver from the machinery. The shifter felt more like an exaggerated switch for selecting gears rather than a part of the transmission.

Guess I'll see tomorrow.

I was disappointed in how the S5 shifted.. You can tell Audi tried as hard as possible to disconnect the driver from the machinery. The shifter felt more like an exaggerated switch for selecting gears rather than a part of the transmission.

Guess I'll see tomorrow.

I felt much of the same issues out of the B8 S4.

Rubbery and the clutch action just didn't feel natural, I just couldn't get into a groove with it like I usually do with a car. The DSG felt much better in the chassis, and made it feel "lighter" and more alive. Blips the throttle, and feels great. Favorite thing to do was grab 2nd and spin her around round-abouts. With the sport diff, you could hold it all day, so much fun.

I will say the shifting is great compared to the V8 cars. I understand the disconnect thing, but I like being able to hit my gears on time then fighting with the car to do so. I'm not one for stiff clutch pedals.

If you think you will get bored with dsg prior to ownership, it will happen, no matter the car.

I had a dsg GTI and the first 2 months or so we're great, then the honeymoon phase wore off and I got incredibly bored. Sold it because of the dsg. Especially you who is so critical of disconnected feeling of Audi's it'd be the biggest part of that imo. I'm in 6mt camp.

I'd drive both and see what you like best.

If you think you will get bored with dsg prior to ownership, it will happen, no matter the car.

I had a dsg GTI and the first 2 months or so we're great, then the honeymoon phase wore off and I got incredibly bored. Sold it because of the dsg. Especially you who is so critical of disconnected feeling of Audi's it'd be the biggest part of that imo. I'm in 6mt camp.

I'd drive both and see what you like best.

Didn't you say you would get the Golf R in DSG if it was available?

:gabe:

Didn't you say you would get the Golf R in DSG if it was available?

:gabe:

It would be a very tough decision, thats for sure. I can tell you this, the ONLY time I would want a DSG, is for launching reliability and consistency.

With the availability of LC and NLS on UM's tune and potentially APRs down the road, the gap in performance is almost negligiable.

I will say that I have never wished for a DSG, but did regularly wish for a manual when I had a DSG.

Edited by Aaron