Has anyone signed up on healthcare.gov? v. Serious

Ramsey

Was looking to see if anyone has seen actual prices and if this has helped them or hurt them. Im looking for actual numbers, not fear words or about a guy you know. From what I can tell is that the prices seem very fair.

Is it even possible to get an honest level headed discussion?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in HR and have been to the site and evaluated their policies, so I certainlly have a bit of insight into pricing and quality.

The policies are not overly priced, which is refreshing for a lot of people.

However, they are "Bronze" level plans and offer very basic coverage. But hey, you know what is better than nothing? Bronze level plans!

I think it is a good option for a lot of people. I haven't looked into different tiers yet (our company offers a "platinum" level coverage so no one at our company would be eligible at the exchange) but I imagine they offer some higher coverage.

I work in HR and have been to the site and evaluated their policies, so I certainlly have a bit of insight into pricing and quality.

The policies are not overly priced, which is refreshing for a lot of people.

However, they are "Bronze" level plans and offer very basic coverage. But hey, you know what is better than nothing? Bronze level plans!

I think it is a good option for a lot of people. I haven't looked into different tiers yet (our company offers a "platinum" level coverage so no one at our company would be eligible at the exchange) but I imagine they offer some higher coverage.

It looks like im eligible for the silver plan (covers 70%) with a max out of pocket of like 6k. It seems very reasonable for someone who was un-insurable before.

Honestly, I'm not sure. That's the problem though, you can't find much if any solid info on this whole ordeal, which is shady at best. What I've seen though is that there are a shit ton of taxes and stipulations and regulations and penalties that basically amount to; we won't be told the actual amount it's going to raise taxes, the amount of decrease in tax breaks at the end of the year or the amount of the monthly penalties (for opting to not have health insurance) until after you agree to it and make it a law.

This is not free. When you do something mass like this, the government HAS to make it funded somewhere. This funding isn't free. It's not coming from the Washington D.C Money Tree (er....Ft. Knox money printing tree), the taxpayers will fund it by higher taxes and less tax breaks and penalties, etc. If you're currently living paycheck to paycheck, or anywhere close, you will be bankrupt before you know it should this pass.

Bottom line: If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.

It looks like im eligible for the silver plan (covers 70%) with a max out of pocket of like 6k. It seems very reasonable for someone who was un-insurable before.

That's not bad for a government health plan! What is the cost on that?

As you said, for someone previously uninsured, that is pretty damn good (pending cost).

Ive been reading a lot on this as I plan on making a career change and Im heading back to school.

I am unable to really draw any conclusions as to what my best option is. How does this work if you provide benefits for a child? Im also a veteran how does that affect my coverage? Also Im pretty sure none of these plans are going to be as good as the one I have now.

I'm all for health care reform. Our house payment is only ~10% of our income (not take home, pretax), and I feel should be my most expensive bill (it's far behind my biggest outflow which is savings/retirement). But my health care is supposed to cost 9.5%?

My partner pays $130/mth on her own. It would cost us ~$150 through her company (they pay half so $300 total). It looks like from the calc the cost would be ~$260 (base plan), so comparable to her companies cost.

I'm just baffled by the 9.5% figure.

Honestly, I'm not sure. That's the problem though, you can't find much if any solid info on this whole ordeal, which is shady at best. What I've seen though is that there are a shit ton of taxes and stipulations and regulations and penalties that basically amount to; we won't be told the actual amount it's going to raise taxes, the amount of decrease in tax breaks at the end of the year or the amount of the monthly penalties (for opting to not have health insurance) until after you agree to it and make it a law.

This is not free. When you do something mass like this, the government HAS to make it funded somewhere. This funding isn't free. It's not coming from the Washington D.C Money Tree (er....Ft. Knox money printing tree), the taxpayers will fund it by higher taxes and less tax breaks and penalties, etc. If you're currently living paycheck to paycheck, or anywhere close, you will be bankrupt before you know it should this pass.

Bottom line: If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.

Just because YOU can't find any infomation doesn't mean there isn't any. I don't know how many times I've fixed PC's for people Who couldn't fix it them selves. That doesn't mean its unfixable.. It just means the person attempting was lacking the approaite knowledge.

And where are you coming up with this FREE notion, The idea of a single payer system was thrown a long time ago. Thats what we truly needed though.

Last but not least the FED Prints money not ft knox.

Just because YOU can't find any infomation doesn't mean there isn't any. I don't know how many times I've fixed PC's for people Who couldn't fix it them selves. That doesn't mean its unfixable.. It just means the person attempting was lacking the approaite knowledge.

Huh. :confused:

And where are you coming up with this FREE notion, The idea of a single payer system was thrown a long time ago. Thats what we truly needed though.

The PC analogy is great, but that works for PC's because you have a definite solution/answer to the issue. The problem is, we won't be told half of the puzzle until we agree to make it a law, at which point it would be too late to fight it should we not like the terms that are only provided once it becomes law.

Yes, it's not FREE, but it looks very appealing to many people who don't currently have insurance, or who are paying a lot for it now. I just wish that people could see that our government isn't REALLY going to offer something to the people that is cheaper than they can get on their own. Yes, up front and on the website it looks cheaper, but the american people across the board will pay for that in the long run thru increased taxes, reduced tax breaks at the end of the year, and penalizing those who opt not to partake in Obamacare.

They passed the law upheld as a "tax"

They wouldnt lie to us WOULD THEY...

Their New York Fan Boy even picked up on this bullshit.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/jon-stewart-accuses-kathleen-sebelius-of-lying-to-him-about-obamacare/

When in reality it is a fine...Maybe we should send it back to the courts hahahaha.

Ramsey, I have been on the exchanges updating myself with this riff raff. In your case maybe it wont be too bad. The biggest issue right now is there is essentially no cross section of data to analyze that will tell you real world how this is going to pan out. Worst you do is try it I supose.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/09/25/double-down-obamacare-will-increase-avg-individual-market-insurance-premiums-by-99-for-men-62-for-women/

Thanks Obama.

That's not bad for a government health plan! What is the cost on that?

As you said, for someone previously uninsured, that is pretty damn good (pending cost).

The cost for a 29 year old non-smoker was around $2837 estimate a year.

For someone who makes only 20K a year this would be an issue.

I dont think anyone of sound mind thinks it is free. Also, I have found the penalty to be $95 or 1% of your income 2014 and 2015 is 2%.

Ive been reading a lot on this as I plan on making a career change and Im heading back to school.

I am unable to really draw any conclusions as to what my best option is. How does this work if you provide benefits for a child? Im also a veteran how does that affect my coverage? Also Im pretty sure none of these plans are going to be as good as the one I have now.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

I'm all for health care reform. Our house payment is only ~10% of our income (not take home, pretax), and I feel should be my most expensive bill (it's far behind my biggest outflow which is savings/retirement). But my health care is supposed to cost 9.5%?

My partner pays $130/mth on her own. It would cost us ~$150 through her company (they pay half so $300 total). It looks like from the calc the cost would be ~$260 (base plan), so comparable to her companies cost.

I'm just baffled by the 9.5% figure.

Mine is closer to 7% but i didnt think 7,9, 10% seems like too much. We need to also find many other ways to cut healthcare cost. I hope this isnt the final action taken.

I just found out that the rates for my group plan for my employees will be increasing in the area of about 70%.

Thanks, Obama.

Im worried that small business will be hurt the worst.

They passed the law upheld as a "tax"

They wouldnt lie to us WOULD THEY...

Their New York Fan Boy even picked up on this bullshit.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/jon-stewart-accuses-kathleen-sebelius-of-lying-to-him-about-obamacare/

When in reality it is a fine...Maybe we should send it back to the courts hahahaha.

Ramsey, I have been on the exchanges updating myself with this riff raff. In your case maybe it wont be too bad. The biggest issue right now is there is essentially no cross section of data to analyze that will tell you real world how this is going to pan out. Worst you do is try it I supose.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/09/25/double-down-obamacare-will-increase-avg-individual-market-insurance-premiums-by-99-for-men-62-for-women/

Thanks Obama.

Those numbers do not look good, scary even.

The PC analogy is great, but that works for PC's because you have a definite solution/answer to the issue. The problem is, we won't be told half of the puzzle until we agree to make it a law, at which point it would be too late to fight it should we not like the terms that are only provided once it becomes law.

Yes, it's not FREE, but it looks very appealing to many people who don't currently have insurance, or who are paying a lot for it now. I just wish that people could see that our government isn't REALLY going to offer something to the people that is cheaper than they can get on their own. Yes, up front and on the website it looks cheaper, but the american people across the board will pay for that in the long run thru increased taxes, reduced tax breaks at the end of the year, and penalizing those who opt not to partake in Obamacare.

Maybe you missed it but this law passed a few years ago.

Actually I tried to get insurance on my own a few years ago and from what im seeing numbers wise Obamacaer is working and helping people. People are ignoring the fact that today your paying for not only amiercans but illegals when they go to the ER and don't pay there bill.

By making it easier for people to obtain basic services your reducing costs by creating a healthier population. Why is it Japan pays the least and has the longest life expectecny?

Also people are penalized for not having car insurance also, Does that mean we should shut the govermetn down?