Garage Door Repair

Zx2guy19

Has anyone ever replaced the torsion cables on a garage door? I just bought a house in Hilliard and the garage door is all misaligned and struggles to open and close because of it. After a quick look, one of the cables that pulls it up and guides it down is frayed/basically non existent.

Has anyone ever messed with something like this? I called a company and they said it's $175 to repair, but I am finding the cables to do it for like $8.

Anyone want to make a quick $50? Haha

Here is what I am referencing:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1382467734634#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=node%3D306734011&field-keywords=garage+door+cable&rh=n%3A16310091%2Cn%3A306506011%2Cn%3A306629011%2Cn%3A306719011%2Cn%3A306734011%2Ck%3Agarage+door+cable

You can do it. Let garage door down, install cable to door bottom, wrap top of cable loosely around pulley as necessary, turn spring shaft in necessary direction to attach cable end. I used a big pipe wrench, but for gods sake be careful, those springs pack some force.

I have had Brent worked on my garage door a couple times. The first one was to redo the garage opener and to relocate the tracks so the door opens closer to the ceiling. The second one to replace the torsion spring. His cost was cheaper than $175 but it was far from $50.

I just saw this. Oh my god, please tell me you didn't do anything suggested in this thread. I think they are trying to kill you. I have seen to many people with pretty bad cuts and broken bones from working on garage doors and doing the things posted. Go ahead and roll your eyes guys, I have had lots of people come to the shop to buy springs and cables and then come back all bandaged up and pay for the labor for us to put it in for them.

OP. If you haven't gotten it fix yet send me a pm. If your not to far away I will get to it.