High HP Street cars: Toyo R888 vs M/T ET Street Radial II

JuicedH22

Opinion from the high HP street cars? ~570whp n/a, ~750-800whp on n2o as an example... I have some (probably out of date) Toyo RA1s on the car now, and they just dont do the trick, and when it gets below 70deg outside, forget about it...

So who uses what?

This is for STREET driving but including 40 trolls and potential dig races... i have different wheels/tires for track days, and CCW drag pack for serious drag strip use...

(yes this is for a target audience....)

Oh, and for the RWD guys... what ya running up front?

I can't speak for the M/T but I see the R888 as a bad choice for that application. They won't be up to temp regularly driving on the street, have stiff sidewalls, and are loud as crap. So they won't ride well and won't stick. Track guys would consider them a downgrade from your RA1s.

FWIW, the R888's are very popular with the UGR TTG crowd, they must do something alright on the street with high power.

thats why i am considering them... the GTR guys use them as well.... if it wasnt for seeing that, I would have already chosen the M/T's..... I will say those guys also say they do it for "improved handling"... but im not going to be trying to rip 1g turns on the street anyway...

thats why i am considering them... the GTR guys use them as well.... if it wasnt for seeing that, I would have already chosen the M/T's..... I will say those guys also say they do it for "improved handling"... but im not going to be trying to rip 1g turns on the street anyway...

I know you've built your car primarily for 1/4 mile and rolls, but a part of you must want to be able to corner decently as well. I can't imagine running around town on MT's and enjoying it...

/slow people/

R888 seems to be typical of Toyo's - good handling track day tire. Get them hot they stick and wear great (compared to many other R comp tires). Very consistent over their life. As a street tire, you probably won't get them hot enough/keep them hot enough to really get them to work, and they're not really a drag tire.

I have not run the MT tires, but generally they seem to be known for straight line grip, not so much for handling. If you want to go fast in a straight line - probably the better choice...

I know you've built your car primarily for 1/4 mile and rolls, but a part of you must want to be able to corner decently as well. I can't imagine running around town on MT's and enjoying it...

/slow people/

Actually, no, I built my car to be 'all around' fun for now, and will go to track (road course) duties eventually again, the n2o is just for now, for fun and i drag race because until i can afford the time/money to track the car, its a cheap way to have the fun and get some racing kicks in... I 'strace' very very very rarely, and am the one called out after trolling someone...

and as far as cornering decently..

... i have different wheels/tires for track days, and CCW drag pack for serious drag strip use...

I dont try corner carving on the street... did that stuff when i was younger and dumber... I have a problem not being able to drive below the limit when going at it... and the bad thing about driving at the limit, is sometimes you go over it, and when that happens, cars get hurt...

I would contact Kevin but I'm pretty sure they use R888's because they are the only tire that meet current needs in the sizes they want. I think he said they have tested better options but don't want to run goofy sizes on the Gallardo's because of the brakes and AWD setup, another reason the GTR's are getting quicker from a dig...

18x12.5

So 335 or 345

BFG Rival maybe? It's been the hot ticket for the Auto-x crowd.

The first tire that came to mind was Nitto NT-01 however the biggest size you can get is 315/30/18. I think most people running R888's would like NT-01's better but R888's is the only REALLY sticky tire that comes in a wide variety of sizes which is why it's probably on most of these cars.

From first hand experience on a road course:

RA-1. Squirmy at full tread. Faster until they cord unless they get old which is sounds like yours have done. Best if shaved to 4/32 out of the box to avoid the tread squirm period. 40-50 heat cycles on the track easily - best of the bunch in the rain. Basically impossible to still get though except maybe some old 335's still laying around.

NT-01 - Similar behavior to RA-1 but better out of the box thanks to 6/32 mold depth and larger tread block design. NOISY on the road. Stickiest right before they cord. Consistent grip throughout the life of the tire. OK in the rain, bad in the rain when they stick the best.

R888 - Despite the fact most people will tell you this is the same rubber compound as the tires above, R888 behaves much differently. Same grip as the above out of the box. When They get about 20-25 heat cycles on them they cycle out and grip falls off. They wear very quickly the second half of their life and loose quite a bit of grip. OK in the rain.

Hoosier R6 and BFG R1 are the ultimate in stick but suck as street tires and park the car if you get stuck in rain. Guessing if you already have a track set of wheels though that these are out for street tires.

It's been 10+ years since I've run a drag radial on anything so maybe they've come a long ways but other than in a straight line I really didn't like the instability feel from the soft sidewalls.