IPS Motorsports C7 Z51 on the dyno

thorne

The other night we finally had the chance to strap down the 2014 Corvette Stingray for some base pulls and tuning. We believe that the car has a few more ponies on the table but we had some shitty gas. (KR on Stock tune).

But even with that we were able to dial her in and make some more power and combat the KR.

For those who care my thoughts on the new platform and tuning:

1. From what we seen the stock tune runs pretty rich ( in the high 11's)

2. The new tq management is picky

3. Stoich is now 14.1 vs 14.5 or 14.7 (We believe this i due to E10)

4. I expected since it was Di it would have been running way leaner.

5. VVT is here and its pretty cool

6. The new Displacement on demand atleast on the z51 can be disabled via the Magic Nob in the car. It only seems to use it when it's in Eco mode.

7. The interior quality is far higher than the previous vettes

8. Creature comforts are nice. Heated and cooled seats. Pandora on the radio

9. the tail lights don't look nearly as bad in person

10. Interior space seems smaller than the c6

11. Many things in the base calibration are set very similar to how tuners have been doing it for years.

12. Speed limiter appears to be at 199

13. The Injectors stock may be enough for a little boost but I don't know how far its going to go with out a HPFP Upgrade.

I'm not sure how easy/cost-effective it's going to be to make a better HPFP and direct injectors. I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket went with a new intake manifold with port injectors and a piggyback. The Toyota D4-S system is set up with both DI and PI and it is proving to be VERY boost friendly.

The engine doesn't change where stoich is... That's a pure function of the fuel being burned... So If you're running e10, then sure 14.1 makes sense... If regular unleaded it is the 14.7 it has always been, varying based on what the fuel actually is...

So not sure whyTF you are including that with your input/opinion on the platform?

The engine doesn't change where stoich is... That's a pure function of the fuel being burned... So If you're running e10, then sure 14.1 makes sense... If regular unleaded it is the 14.7 it has always been, varying based on what the fuel actually is...

So not sure whyTF you are including that with your input/opinion on the platform?

He might mean that the closed-loop target in the ECU is 14.1 instead of 14.7

a HPFP upgrade wont be enough to a certain level. Start reading the forums Bill, its interesting. There was a good letter written by a factory tuner for Motech about the DI in this platform, the timing events for tuning DI are WAY technical and very interesting. Wait till you start seeing amateur tuners blowing these up right and left. These guys with the DI cars monitoring duty cycles crack me up...It couldnt be less important on a DI engine vs a PFI engine. What you have to be concerned about is fuel timing events EOI and SOI : BFDC and relative to rail pressures. However I would say generally most of the bigger shops will tune fine, there will be plenty whom are seeking to make that "easy" quick buck...With no concern for fuel impingement (that extra fuel sparying on the cylinder walls) , oil dilution, and throwing fuel out of the exhaust valve...

Injectors are still and issue, pump upgrade or no upgrade, fact. However those pesky truck guys set a great foundation for the "tricky potential" to modify injectors...

Rumors are swirling the HPFP isnt going to like more the 630 whp as is, and the injectors not much more then 660... However the "LT4" might hold some neat parts to fix some of these issues.

Edited by Brandon

Yeah its funny because you only gave 5 ms of injection window. The c7 injectors are really only about the equivalent of 45ish lb hrs at 15m if my fuzzy math is right

Your calculations are what is being reported amongst the community for injector sizing.

Im waiting for some folks to "flex" tune these cars lolzzzzzz...

I downloaded the demo file Bill from HP tuners and voyaged around in it, so I see what you're are talking about.

Your calculations are what is being reported amongst the community for injector sizing.

Im waiting for some folks to "flex" tune these cars lolzzzzzz...

I downloaded the demo file Bill from HP tuners and voyaged around in it, so I see what you're are talking about.

I've got a feeling that EFILIVE will make a flex fuel conversion for this car like they did with the Cruze ecu. That being said, It will work on NA cars but I don't see boosted ones working out so well.

The whole Duty Cycle calculation atm is completely wrong, Atleast for how most people are used to using said duty cycle. I hope that HPTuners adds a Injection Window Total % logging value. From what I seen the other night it wasn't there yet.

What's going to be interesting is when we attempt to crank the fuel rail pressure up will it hold. I know from the logs I've got 15m held perfect with 0 waiver. But as you know on the FirstTTv6 car the MP was dropping during the pulls.

This is why the BRZ's setup rocks. The best of both worlds!

Edited by Thorne

I've got a feeling that EFILIVE will make a flex fuel conversion for this car like they did with the Cruze ecu. That being said, It will work on NA cars but I don't see boosted ones working out so well.

The whole Duty Cycle calculation atm is completely wrong, Atleast for how most people are used to using said duty cycle. I hope that HPTuners adds a Injection Window Total % logging value. From what I seen the other night it wasn't there yet.

What's going to be interesting is when we attempt to crank the fuel rail pressure up will it hold. I know from the logs I've got 15m held perfect with 0 waiver. But as you know on the FirstTTv6 car the MP was dropping during the pulls.

This is why the BRZ's setup rocks. The best of both worlds!

Bill I agree with all of this. Its cold here...

i watched it today also 12.74 was the pass i seen. he was chirping the tires in every gear. def needs some good tires. damn good looking car.

I think he ended up going 12.5x's. Not bad for the first time out and Stas saying that it needed a better driver. The front end isn't bad at all. Not sure on the back end with the way that the color was separated on different panels.