Need Advice from Reloaders

Dharris89

CR Reloaders, what would cause this?

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo225/ceharrisnanny/38Spec_zps9160d8bf.jpg

I am new to reloading and just tried to load 38 spec for the first time. The first 20 came out fine after I wasted one seating it too deep. I don't know why the cases "bulged" and the last one I did bulged in two spots and looks like the bullet is pushing on the side. Nothing was changed from the first 20 to these 3. I am using Hornady single stage press with Hornady dies. The powder was 5.3 gr of Unique and the bullet was 124 gr Barry's. I seated the first 20 to 1.45 OAL before this per the Hornady manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using a taper crimp die? When you are seating the bullet, the taper crimp portion is making contact too soon and crushing your brass. You need to raise the height of the seating die.

Did you trim all of the cases to the same length? The cases will grow in length when you re-size them and they must be trimmed back to the correct length if you are going to use a taper crimp. The ones that worked fine may have been slightly shorter in length than the ones that are bulging.

Obviously that brass needs to be scrapped. You can use an inertia puller to pull the bullet and re-use the bullet and powder. If you don;t have an inertia puller - get one! It's a must have for re-loading and they are cheap.

I thought with a taper crimp I did not need to trim the cases. Do you recommend trimming all hand gun cases? I will back off the die a little. I wanted to ensure I would get a good crimp because I was told that's more important in revolvers. So far I have only loaded 9mm and they have worked great so I am still learning. I need to go to Cabelas anyway so I will pick up a bullet puller. Thanks.

Are you using a taper crimp die? When you are seating the bullet, the taper crimp portion is making contact too soon and crushing your brass. You need to raise the height of the seating die.

Did you trim all of the cases to the same length? The cases will grow in length when you re-size them and they must be trimmed back to the correct length if you are going to use a taper crimp. The ones that worked fine may have been slightly shorter in length than the ones that are bulging.

Obviously that brass needs to be scrapped. You can use an inertia puller to pull the bullet and re-use the bullet and powder. If you don;t have an inertia puller - get one! It's a must have for re-loading and they are cheap.

What this man said. The die is pushing down on the mouth of the case while the ram is pushing it up. The case has no where to go, so it ripples.

Do you have a roll crimp or a taper crimp? It almost looks rolled.