Garage Builder recommendations?

craig71188

I have not adjusted well to "downsizing" when I moved to a home with a much smaller garage several years back. Some might say I have too much stuff, and I do, but I still could use more space. After exploring several options, the wife has agreed it would be a good idea to consider building a 3 car (24x30) garage and converting the attached 2+ car garage to shop space (City of Columbus - no real option for keeping both as garages).

Anyone have recommendations for a builder? I am looking at a frame structure, one double door, one single door, service door, siding on three sides and brick to match the house on the front. At this point I just need to get some estimates to see if this is the solution.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Craig, more explanation on the garage/shop space differentiation? I just assumed the total structure had to be 720sqft.

Are you going to do 30 wide by 24 deep, 3 cars wide?

As I understand it - and the zoning folks explained it, you can only have one garage not to exceed 720 sq ft in the city of Columbus without a variance - and they don't give variances for garages anymore.

In my case, I have an oversized 2 car attached garage. I am considering building a 24 deep x 30 wide "3 car" - though it would likely have one double wide overhead door and the third "bay" would be off to the side for storage. My old attached garage would have to be closed off from the driveway so as not to be used as a garage. This would have to be done to get all the permits/inspections closed out.

My attached garage has an outside door (man door) that opens onto a patio. I would likely remove it, open up the wall and install a steel double door that would allow larger items to be rolled inside to be worked on. Technically, no garage door=no garage, no driveway access=no garage. I would retain the space as "shop space" - it is already drywalled. I have not had this discussion with any zoning folks - depending on their mood, it could be an issue - or not.

If I move forward, that is my "plan" - some other options have possibly come to light and I am seeing how they play our before doing anything else.