Stock / Investment Crew: Post Up Your 2013 Gains!

Wease

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be cautious guys, I know some big gains have been posted this year, but this has been a stellar year for investments. If you go read elitetrader.com forums you'll find guys who even in this great uptrend lost everything (I've read about as much as $400K) and are now wondering how/why.

Its very easy to get caught up in gains and loses can take it all away just as easily. To be a trader is a lot like poker or blackjack. To be consistent you must cut your loses quickly and let your winners run until you see a turning point.

I have a goal of investing money... but no clue how to do it. Would anyone give me their time to sit down for an hour and explain how to begin doing so?

A good place to start is http://www.investopedia.com There you can read a lot of very good information about all types of investing and wealth management as well as use their simulator to play around with the live market with simulated money. I'm always happy to answer questions, much of what I know is geared towards very short term scalping and swing trading though I do know how to read industry and balance sheets to pick longer term investments reasonably well, its just I like to be much more active in growing the money.

Be cautious guys, I know some big gains have been posted this year, but this has been a stellar year for investments. If you go read elitetrader.com forums you'll find guys who even in this great uptrend lost everything (I've read about as much as $400K) and are now wondering how/why.

Its very easy to get caught up in gains and loses can take it all away just as easily. To be a trader is a lot like poker or blackjack. To be consistent you must cut your loses quickly and let your winners run until you see a turning point.

QFT. I don't understand the trading game to a level that I would be comfortable putting money into it. My job involves analyzing financial spreads, risk grading companies, etc...so I stick with investing for 1-2 year periods in a company that I can tell is relatively cheap/safe. I think the most important thing if you are looking to start investing or trading in equities is to understand two things about yourself; know your risk tolerance (and minimize risk when you can), and know what your strengths are (for me it's financial analysis of company books). If you get those two down and trade without emotions you will do alright.

Also, for beginners I recommend the Wallstreet Journal Complete Money & Investing Guidebook. It's a pretty easy read that covers the very basics. I also like Barron's Guide to Making Investment Decisions, this book is very basic again, but covers things like trusts, what is a blue chip stock, options, what is a money manager, etc....