2011 Honda civic black box?

Guest GMoney

Guest GMoney

Does anyone on here know if a 2011 civic tracks the speed and driver inputs during airbag deployment?

Cliffs. Gfs car was in accident with passenger curtain airbag deployment last year and repaired by a Honda dealer.

Yesterday gf hit a pothole and the same airbag deployed that was replaced in accident. There is zero damage to car, wheel, or tire.

I am wanting to know how crazy to go off on that honda dealer cause they have already started to push back this morning. Does it track the time, speed and driver inputs at the time of deployment?

I am thinking they didn't replace the sensor that triggered the airbag in the accident and has now false triggered this.

I'm sorry to say that I have no blackbox feedback to contribute to this thread. I just came here to say that if that happened to me...

...I might have pooped a little.

Sorry to hear that the dealer is giving you a hard time. Once you get deeper into the investigation, you might want to consider calling higher ranking people if the dealer continues to give you a hard time. They are usually more motivated to assist.

I'm sorry to say that I have no blackbox feedback to contribute to this thread. I just came here to say that if that happened to me...

...I might have pooped a little.

Sorry to hear that the dealer is giving you a hard time. Once you get deeper into the investigation, you might want to consider calling higher ranking people if the dealer continues to give you a hard time. They are usually more motivated to assist.

...especially when it's a safety issue these days.

Airbag deployment data is stored in the module, seat position, set belt buckled or not, G force applied during deployment, speed, gas pedal position, brake if being used and what percentage, if abs was active etc.

Date for this is stored in both the PCM and a DERM for the car, dealer may or may not be able to extract all or any or this, traffic crash re-constructionist can though.

short answer NO, we don't have anything to pull that information. Honda airbag systems don't have a black box, once Honda airbags have been deployed, the airbag(s), SRS control unit, seat belt tensioner(s)(if buckled), and impact sensor(s) that were triggered, will have to be replaced with NEW SRS parts, if not the SRS light will "ALWAYS" stay on and those components wont function. Those cars have 2 front, 2 rear and 2 side impact sensors(inside the car above the rocker panel area) I can't say for sure(so don't hold me to this) but I've personally had 2009 & up Acura's come in with the SRS light on having codes for impact sensors stored, when inspecting the sensor(s) outside the car they have rust/corrosion build up on the pin terminals, that could have created an issue with your car, again without seeing it I can't really say, so don't think that's your problem.

Since you said it was in an accident before, who did the body work?(To my knowledge Honda/Acura dealers don't have body shops because Honda doesn't want them too for liability reasons) you said she hit a pot hole, how big? how fast was she going? did the shock create enough force to trigger the side impact sensor causing the airbag to deploy?

I can look to see if any recalls were issued for your car, I know we have a recall with the older MDX airbags deploying for no reason. Honda is having us install a new SRS sub-harness with a noise suppressor, bulletin says that electrical interference can cause them to deploy without warning. again don't rush to think this is what happened to your g/f's car, MDX and Civics are to different cars with different parts/components and were built in different plants.

Honda does have body shops but you have to meet certain criteria to be a approved body shop. I know hinderer is one, not sure about roush or germain. I do agree with your statement about the control unit being replaced, we get cars in all the time that bodyshops have done repairs but didn't replace the control unit so you can't clear the code