Homeowner's Insurance

350pandaz

I realized this topic has been covered a few times, but it's been at least 2 years since it was last update. I need to get an insurance quote for an in contract home. I have progessive right now for my auto and renters, can't seem to find any brokers for progressive. So tried going the online quote route and came back declined coverage (not sure why). Got a quote from a broker for allstate and they want to charge me $1048 for a year. that seems really high to me, does anyone here insurance brokers or have a local that they would highly recommend? thanks

I've been with the same agent since I bought my house and my parents have used them since the early '80s. They're also partnered with Progressive as well as dozens of other carriers and will always come back with great pricing and options.

http://www.yellowbook.com/profile/dorsey-conley-insurance_1628737036.html

Erie insurance tends to blow most places out of the water on rates and service. However, if the property has any unique features, like a pond or a couple out buildings, they may not be the best. Usaa does very well. I bought a home in March, and after going through a broker and USAA, I went with Allstate. I have my cars through them and they beat out Erie insurance, who the broker found to be the best one for us. PM AngryBMW, he can give you the broker's contact info. Her name was Melissa.

I realized this topic has been covered a few times, but it's been at least 2 years since it was last update. I need to get an insurance quote for an in contract home. I have progessive right now for my auto and renters, can't seem to find any brokers for progressive. So tried going the online quote route and came back declined coverage (not sure why). Got a quote from a broker for allstate and they want to charge me $1048 for a year. that seems really high to me, does anyone here insurance brokers or have a local that they would highly recommend? thanks

Be careful when shopping homeowners insurance. There are 2 different types of policies, a full replacement value which is the cost to rebuild a house just like yours. Typically this value will be higher than your purchase price and will carry a higher premium. Then there are policies based on your purchase price, which are meant to make you whole financially, but are not meant to fully replace your house with a new build.

Erie insurance tends to blow most places out of the water on rates and service. However, if the property has any unique features, like a pond or a couple out buildings, they may not be the best. Usaa does very well. I bought a home in March, and after going through a broker and USAA, I went with Allstate. I have my cars through them and they beat out Erie insurance, who the broker found to be the best one for us. PM AngryBMW, he can give you the broker's contact info. Her name was Melissa.

Marc is actually my loan officer, excellent guy. I contacted Melissa, just waiting on a reply. thanks

I spent about a week playing back and forth but State Farm provided better coverage and lower cost than I could find anywhere else. (I did not try any of above mentioned tho)

Home and auto discount was pretty huge tho. I think it came out to roughly 20% discount after I bundled it all together.

Be careful when shopping homeowners insurance. There are 2 different types of policies, a full replacement value which is the cost to rebuild a house just like yours. Typically this value will be higher than your purchase price and will carry a higher premium. Then there are policies based on your purchase price, which are meant to make you whole financially, but are not meant to fully replace your house with a new build.

sounds like full replacement would be the smart way to go? purchasing first home so really clueless regarding insurance.

State Farm was the cheapest option for us when we looked recently but we stayed with Liberty Mutual because the difference was negligible and it was more convenient to stay with what we had. Ps if it helps the rebuild vs payoff debate. When we were looking the rebuild would have been twice what we still owe so it was an easy way some some insurance companies to give real cheap rates by only covering our payoff.

I've been with ANPAC for a while now. Switched over from state farm. One perk that i like from them is if you have auto and home owner's through them, you can get cashback if you don't file a claim for 3yrs. You will get 25% back from what you paid on 1st year and each year follows. If you file a claim, then it will start over again.

http://www.anpac.com/

It was cheaper then state farm at the time and the cashback bonus after 3 years was great. Was getting cashback for the last 3 years till last year when wife was involved in an accident and was at fault. So my counter starts over again.

-D