Another Medical Update. 1/15/14

Benner

Still at Riverside in the Brain/Stroke Neuro wing.

I can't say enough praises about all the staff that have been working with me. Had a team of probably 20+ different doctors and nurses making sure I'm well taken care of and everything is going according to plan.

Anyway on to the information..

My main Neurologist has spent hours and hours reading and researching and everyone is pretty sure I have whats called Adems (Acute Disseminated Enchephlomyelitis). It's a Demyelenating Auto Immune Disease. So basically my immune system is attacking the myelin sheath (think of the plastic/rubber insolater around wire) around the nerves in my lower spine and corpus collosum in the lower back of my brain, causing nerves to touch and send all kinds of irradic signals down my lower extremities. So basically I can't correctly control anything below my belly button.

It's sort of like a very aggressive quick attacking MS. However much rarer, the highest statistic I've seen is 8/1,000,000 children, with adults being more rare. Mortality rates are 5% and full recovery at around 80%.

Since the last update (about Friday IIRC) I'm now able to stand, transfer, and use the walker within my room.

They have me taking heavy regimens of steroids as well as 5 rounds of plasmapheresis which is when they exchange all the plasma in my blood system. It's essentially a fancy Dialysis exchange. It wears me out for about 4 hours but then I'm completely wired for the next day and a half till the next round.

They're expecting I should be out of the hospital by Monday if not sooner and I'll be taken to inpatient therapy where I'll focus on relearning to walk and use my lower extremities. I'll probably be there for around a month, and given approval can return to work.

Also cant say enough kind words for the team at Chesrown Chevrolet for holding my job for me. I'd only been there for 3 weeks so they are under no obligation to keep my job for me and honestly didn't expect them to.

Do they have any idea what caused it? Or is this just like something that you were born with and its just now showing up?

Glad to hear you are doing better man!

It can start spontaneously but has been linked to viral infection, bacterial infection, and vaccinations.

I was sick about a month and a half ago with a stomach and flu bug so they're think that caused it.

However to truly diagnose this could take years just because they have to see how it progresses

Who is your Dr. there? Mine was Brightman. I have spent my fair share of time in the Riverside Neuro ICU. Everyone was awesome, just hope I don't have to go back anytime soon. Best wishes for your recovery!

Dr. Lane

She's part of a team of 3 from what I understand.

praying for you. hope you get through it without to much damage.

my dad has MS and it hasnt been to kind to him.

also have a nephew that has a very rare auto immune disease, and an ex girlfriend with an auto immune disease, those things suck when your body attacks its self and they have to use corticosteroids to weaken your immune system so it wont attack your body.