Scoping out info

Mojoe

I have an on again, off again chase for distance shooting. I become slit between hunting and hitting paper and stacking rounds, or wanting to. I like the over 500M shot, or ability to make the shot. I would say 800-1200M ability is what I would want of the scope. Frankly, to me, it's more shooter and some scope at that point. I'd like to keep the rifle out of it, assuming it's a capable weapon.

So I ask you CR, realistically, what scope would you get?

I like big magnification. I don't know that I would justify anymore cost in a scope than this.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-4-8-5-25x50mm-lr-t-m1-rifle-scope.html

I have shot the Nikon Monarch quite a bit and feel it is able. But, doing a little searching/looking in to what else is out there.

Vortex Viper PST would be my choice for semi-budget glass. Bushnell's tactical line isn't bad for starter glass, either.

S&B, NightForce, USO, Hendsoldt, Steiner, Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss, and Premier Reticles; all excellent glass. They are pricey as fuck though. For that range, and a first time rig, I'd probably go with the PST.

Hit up Euro Optics when you're looking to buy and stay away from Optics Planet.

I go to optics planet simply for the variety of good and bad there.

I see $7k+ set ups out there and that's just laughable to me.

This thread was intended more toward glass you guys have had your eye on, if you were looking to do some shooting like this. My interest I. Shooting like this just spurred me thinking about it to post.

I would recommend the following 2, they both have better glass than loopy MK4s, better warranty, better CS, and cheaper. I prefer the Vortex, but the bushnell is a great choice as well.

Vortex Viper PST-FFP 6-24x50

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope.html

Burshnell Elite Tactical G2 FFP 6-24x50

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-elite-tactical-6-24x50mm-rifle-scope.html

If you got money to burn, my scope of choice would be a Nightforce F1 or a Premier Light tactical. I will eventually move up to one of those, but for now. My Vortex Viper PST will do just fine.

I have an on again, off again chase for distance shooting. I become slit between hunting and hitting paper and stacking rounds, or wanting to. I like the over 500M shot, or ability to make the shot. I would say 800-1200M ability is what I would want of the scope. Frankly, to me, it's more shooter and some scope at that point. I'd like to keep the rifle out of it, assuming it's a capable weapon.

So I ask you CR, realistically, what scope would you get?

I like big magnification. I don't know that I would justify anymore cost in a scope than this.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-4-8-5-25x50mm-lr-t-m1-rifle-scope.html

I have shot the Nikon Monarch quite a bit and feel it is able. But, doing a little searching/looking in to what else is out there.

Was it a Monarch Gold, or the Monarch? There is a fair difference between the two.

Honestly, I think the glass in the Nikon scopes, particularly the Gold series are AT LEAST as good as the top end Leupold scopes. They might be better.

I'm extremely impressed with the Nikon scopes and have 3 different models, now. The only scope that I own that rivals the clarity and light transmission is my Hendsoldt (Zeiss).