How to deal with a coyote in town.......... Back counter perhaps?

cstmg8

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talked to a dog trainer today who told me 4 of his dogs got into some Coyote poop, and dogs being dogs, ate some. All 4 were sick with some disease within 48 hours; I forget what he said it was. One died from it, and the others recovered, $3,000 later.

Sooo, they have no freakin idea what happened to it. lol Nice speculation to whip up a fear frenzy. It was probably like my old neighbor's dumbass little dog who squeezed into my yard and put itself very close to death from my dogs one night. I've noticed a lot of people with little dogs and cats think it's ok to let them run loose.

talked to a dog trainer today who told me 4 of his dogs got into some Coyote poop, and dogs being dogs, ate some. All 4 were sick with some disease within 48 hours; I forget what he said it was. One died from it, and the others recovered, $3,000 later.

I can't think of too many diseases they transmit that would kill a domestic dog within 48hours. Not that there isn't that chance, obviously. Perhaps, something like parvo or rabies, but the dogs should've been vaccinated against it. I would really like to know what it was exactly they caught if you get a chance to find out or remember. Anyway, I'm not saying this didn't happen, but there are a few things that seem a little unusual to me. I'm really curious about some details.

Honestly, my biggest concern would be mange mites. Oh, and the occasional breeding if you have a female in heat. Had it happen to a couple different folks I knew when in Texas. Pups tend towards skittish, though.

I will try to find out what it was. The guy talked like it was pretty common, IMO. I might know it if it's posted here. But, it not what was mentions above. The guy works at Cabelas in the archery department, at least that's where he was the other day when he was helping me out.

Sooo, they have no freakin idea what happened to it. lol Nice speculation to whip up a fear frenzy. It was probably like my old neighbor's dumbass little dog who squeezed into my yard and put itself very close to death from my dogs one night. I've noticed a lot of people with little dogs and cats think it's ok to let them run loose.

I can't think of too many diseases they transmit that would kill a domestic dog within 48hours. Not that there isn't that chance, obviously. Perhaps, something like parvo or rabies, but the dogs should've been vaccinated against it. I would really like to know what it was exactly they caught if you get a chance to find out or remember. Anyway, I'm not saying this didn't happen, but there are a few things that seem a little unusual to me. I'm really curious about some details.

Honestly, my biggest concern would be mange mites. Oh, and the occasional breeding if you have a female in heat. Had it happen to a couple different folks I knew when in Texas. Pups tend towards skittish, though.

Probably got Lepto

Probably got Lepto

Though this bacterial infection slipped my mind at the time of my post, I highly doubt this was the issue. Without getting into too much detail concerning the bacteria:

1. Though I guess it's always possible, having multiple dogs near death or dying in less than 48 hours from this is Highly unlikely.

2. This can be vaccinated against as I mentioned in a previous post, though it's not perfect like any other.

3. It could be caught from any wild animal urine or water found "out in the wild". That includes something as simple as sniffing at some relatively fresh rodent urine.

4. Late summer/autumn is the most common time you'll have to worry about it this far north since the freezes here kill the bacteria.

That's all I can think of off-hand. :)

1. It's highly likely and about the norm (48 hours)

2. Vaccine isn't perfect and ppl are stupid and decline vaccines all the time

3. Yes, inconsequential to his claim though.

4. I see lepto cases year round here in Ohio. Treated one last week on an outdoor only dog

^ all direct responses from my wife, DVM

This guy has coyotes going kamikaze in his front yard and you two are arguing over dogs dying from eating shit.

Hahaha, don't tell my girl that coyote shit can kill a dog! I think I'm going to take a little trek down the ravine while the snow is on and see if I can locate a den. A neighbor on the other side owns 10 acres, so there's plenty of area for it.

Not saying this is it, but I had a dog die of IMHA. Went from Hero to Zero in less than 48hrs.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=569903

Hahaha, don't tell my girl that coyote shit can kill a dog! I think I'm going to take a little trek down the ravine while the snow is on and see if I can locate a den. A neighbor on the other side owns 10 acres, so there's plenty of area for it.

Better at least carry a handgun with you. They can be aggressive around their den