Who's the Concrete guy here.....installing a lift, have ??

MattKatz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the anchors drop in with bolt or drop in with threads and nut? Is your floor rreally old concrete? You rarely see concrete less than 3-4" unless its old residential typically.

Shop is about 40 years old. Concrete was plenty thick, but wasn't strong enough to get the proper torque on the anchors without the concrete failing at the anchor when tightened. They are not drop in, they are the threaded wedge anchor.

Worst anchors to use imo. If you can get some drop in anchors and a set tool thats the way I would go. Dont forget to always blow out any anchor hole before setting anchors. Concrete dust even very minimal acts like tiny ball bearings when your trying to tighten an anchor this results in anchors that wont tighten or prematurely fail or loosen.

We were using what was provided with the lift from the manufacturer. I've used both styles of anchors, and both work, and each IMO have their place where they work better. At this point it doesn't really matter since were gonna have to pour new concrete anyway. So I guess now we can install rods like David showed, which looks just like all thread to me, so can I just use 3/4 all thread? How do I space and set them properly? Seems to me like you could pull them out if just the threads are in the concrete as it's not much engagement.

Shop is about 40 years old. Concrete was plenty thick, but wasn't strong enough to get the proper torque on the anchors without the concrete failing at the anchor when tightened. They are not drop in, they are the threaded wedge anchor.

Not sure on what your next step will be, but if you need the floor cut out let me know. I'll give a CR hookup.

This is merely a guess, someone with more education would be better to answer this but if your going to cut out a section I would go about 2'x2' for each post and dig down to depth of 2'. I would reinforce my opening with rebar (rebar cage)and tie/pin this rebar into existing concrete as well. I would use the largest grade 8 all thread I could and either weld on plates to the bottom or use bolts to hold on metal plates on each all thread. Position these in the opening with wooden guide plate and feel each hole with 3000psi concrete.

If we are pouring new pads, wouldn't it be wise/Easier to just go ahead and put the rods in while wet? I mean coring and epoxing later is time and money, if I can save both I will.

This will be holding thousands of pounds over your head. Saving time and money would be the least of my concerns, safety would trump all.

This will be holding thousands of pounds over your head. Saving time and money would be the least of my concerns, safety would trump all.

Exactly why I feel installing the hardware in the concrete vs. using anchors added later is a better option. Trust me, I'm making sure it's done right as I will be working under this and if I don't trust the lift I won't work under it.

I get what your saying about safety. If I set the drop in anchors myself, i would feel more than safe with hilti 3/4 drop in anchors without question. I have seen one of these anchors withstand a vertical lift of probably twice the weight of anything your lift will probably see. With what i assume is 4 on each leg of the lift , i would feel perfectly fine, again of i felt the anchors set myself after setting thousands and thousands of anchors over the years.

I've hung multi thousand pound fixtures from roof joists with 5/8 all thread. I'll look into what eating are on my options though.

I'm just speaking from experience. We use hardened 10.9 grade lag anchors (Metric) for all of our machinery and robots. We just finished installing a gantry system supported by 6x 6x12 steel beams that hold up two 165kg payload robots. It might be overkill, but when we're talking a few dollars more for good fasteners, what's your safety and peace of mind really worth?

I'm just speaking from experience. We use hardened 10.9 grade lag anchors (Metric) for all of our machinery and robots. We just finished installing a gantry system supported by 6x 6x12 steel beams that hold up two 165kg payload robots. It might be overkill, but when we're talking a few dollars more for good fasteners, what's your safety and peace of mind really worth?

No I'm with ya man, I just need to figure out what I'm using and get 10.