HELP!!!! WTF? HVAC

Mojoe

HVAC people, WTF!!!!!!! I hate wires!!! All I'm doing is changing the thermostat in the shop. This is a gas heat, and heat only set up. Had an old mercury thermostat on it before with only a red and white wire. So it was on or off function only. Now, 6 phone calls later with Honeywell, I'm still nowhere and their customer support is all pissed off because I'm a homeowner and not a trained HVAC professional. Worst part, even reconnecting the old thermostat, now nothing works. WTF?

Heater

http://beacon-morris.com/html/garage_heater_bru.asp

Thermostat

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/RTH6580WF.htm

I have a 24v transformer powering the new unit, which is needed.

Any suggestions?

My phone isn't letting me open the manuals, but a few things to check first:

Does the heater have a fuse on the control board? These commonly get blown, should look like a normal square automotive fuse.

The thermostat may have a delay for startup, usually 3-5 min, can be turned off in the programming.

Does the stat already have the necessary jumper installed? Honeywells usually do.

I'll try to open the links at home in a few. Good luck. (Breaker is on to heater, right?) Lol

I'm my own worst enemy with electronics. I had everything connected right. Who knew you needed to plug it in. facepalm.

Shaun, your insight was far better that what I got from the Indian guy at Honeywell. It got me looking at what I thought I had already done, plug the damn thing in.

Thanks

I'm a bit embarrassed. But, it is what it is. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Don't feel dumb, I run service calls to every type of company there is and at least once a week I find something unplugged or a phone line plugged into the wrong port when they are clearly labeled. They feel real great when they still get the $200 bill.

When I did home PC repair years ago I used to see the speaker wires plugged in backwards all the time and those are green-green, pink-pink for a reason.

I'm my own worst enemy with electronics. I had everything connected right. Who knew you needed to plug it in. facepalm.

Shaun, your insight was far better that what I got from the Indian guy at Honeywell. It got me looking at what I thought I had already done, plug the damn thing in.

Thanks

Glad you got it figured out. We've all been there, I've shown up to so many peoples houses with breakers tripped. I often get so determined to find some complex technical issue that I overlook the obvious.

Shaun

Glad you got it figured out. We've all been there, I've shown up to so many peoples houses with breakers tripped. I often get so determined to find some complex technical issue that I overlook the obvious.

Shaun

That's exactly where my head was. The flux capacitor must be the reason this isn't working. It HAS to be. Nope.

Disappoint you no call me

Did not know you knew.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why American tech support can't be replaced. I had this same kind of issue while doing Tier 2 for Liebert... folks would call in saying "Well, this part works, but this other part doesn't. I think I got a dud!" Uhh, sir, please hold the blue button down for two seconds... "Hey, it works!!!"