Pre-Purchase Inspection

Dr. Pomade

I'm interested in a car that's in Georgia (Marietta, specifically). I'd like to have it inspected before I proceed with purchasing it. Does anyone have experience with pre-purchase inspections? What's the process like, what should I expect, etc.? Input appreciated.

Will you be going down there to take part in person, or do you want a local (to them) mechanic to go on your behalf?

We allow PPIs and more often than not, they always come back with $2500-$3000 worth of crap that 'needs to be done immediately'.

The most important thing IMO is to use a mechanic who understands your goals. Do you want him to pick the car apart and reveal any single flaw? Or do you want him to do a quick once over to be able to tell you it's never been in an accident, the maintenance appears to have been performed on time, and there's nothing that doesn't justify the price.

No, I won't be going down there to take part in the inspection.

This dealership said they don't have a problem with a PPI being done.

As for my goals, no, I don't want or need them to pick the car apart. Rather, it's more of the latter: just to verify it's never been wrecked, that it's been well-maintained, and that the price is justified.

No, I won't be going down there to take part in the inspection.

This dealership said they don't have a problem with a PPI being done.

As for my goals, no, I don't want or need them to pick the car apart. Rather, it's more of the latter: just to verify it's never been wrecked, that it's been well-maintained, and that the price is justified.

Any dealer would be out of their mind to refuse such an inspection. I'd suggest trying to find a mechanic through someone you know and trust, set up an appointment with the dealer's service dept to get the car on a lift, and have the mechanic show up then to give it a once over on a lift and a test drive.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, so someone else can chime in with any additional tests/inspections that should be done, but the few out of state PPIs I've had have been done that way with no problems. Honestly, with an out of state purchase it makes me as a salesman more comfortable knowing that the buyer won't be calling me with a surprise complaint.

I recently bought a BMW from MA and I live in MD, it only had 21K on it so I had the ford dealer it was at inspect it and asked a lot of questions and then made the decision to buy it and have it shipped to me. If it's a Benz, I don't see why you couldn't have them take it to a local Benz dealer and get a PPI done on it.

I don't really know of any mobile inspection services or people in that area.

I have several friends down that way, John. Our company's South HQ is in Kennesaw, right around the corner. I'll check if they know of any reputable independent mechanics that would be willing to do the PPI.

Can you PM me some details on how you'd like to handle this?

Would not suggest a dealer do a PPI, as stated... Find a third party mechanic that you trust.

As a dealer, I echo this. Even though I have absolute faith in our head tech, the purpose of the PPI for us is to help the customer feel like all bases are covered, and only a 3rd party can do that in many instances.

I'd register on a brand or model specific forum for the car you're interested in and see if anyone there can recommend a mechanic in that area.

Join some local car forums int hat area, see who their sponsors are.

Good idea. Okay to troll when I am on there? Yes or no

What year GTR is it? :gabe:

It's a 2002 Cobra.

Can you PM me some details on how you'd like to handle this?

No.

As a dealer, I echo this. Even though I have absolute faith in our head tech, the purpose of the PPI for us is to help the customer feel like all bases are covered, and only a 3rd party can do that in many instances.

I'd register on a brand or model specific forum for the car you're interested in and see if anyone there can recommend a mechanic in that area.

Thanks for this input, and to everyone else who chimed in. Sounds like going with an independent mechanic is the way to go.