Angels and demons under fire...

magley64

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/director-ron-howard-defends-quotangels-demonsquot-reuters

no suprize here...

Director Ron Howard on Tuesday defended his film adaptation of "The Da Vinci Code" author Dan Brown 's " Angels & Demons " from criticism that it smears the Roman Catholic Church , heightening an ongoing battle over fictional depictions of the Vatican.

Howard, who also directed the 2006 movie adaptation of " The Da Vinci Code ," posted a blog at The Huffington Post website saying that neither he nor his new movie "Angels & Demons," which debuts in May and stars Tom Hanks , are anti-Catholic.

"And let me be a little controversial: I believe Catholics, including most in the hierarchy of the Church , will enjoy the movie for what it is: an exciting mystery, set in the awe-inspiring beauty of Rome," Howard wrote.

Howard's post came in response to an opinion piece in the New York Daily News by Bill Donahue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, last week. Donahue accused Brown and Howard of "smearing the Catholic Church with fabulously bogus tales."

Last year, the Catholic Church refused to let "Angels & Demons" be filmed in churches in Rome because of the Vatican's outrage over "The Da Vinci Code."

Howard's drama "Frost/Nixon" was nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards this year, but lost to " Slumdog Millionaire ." His other films include " A Beautiful Mind ," which won the best picture Oscar and best directing Oscar for 2001, as well as 1995's " Apollo 13 ."

Brown this week announced that his follow-up novel to "The Da Vinci Code" will be released in September and is titled "The Lost Symbol."

I have my own theories as to why the church is getting so outraged over "fabulously bogus tales"

Edited by magley64

Angels and Demons was an awesome book... I hope the theatrical version will hold up to the book this time. And it's no surprise that the Catholic Church would be outraged, they pretty much get portrayed as a bunch of twisted hypocrites in the book...

fabulously bogus tales about a real person/ based on a real person = fictional work

fabulously bogus tales about a religious figure = blasphemy

this is why they have such a hard time separating fiction from non-fiction

Angels and Demons was an awesome book... I hope the theatrical version will hold up to the book this time. And it's no surprise that the Catholic Church would be outraged, they pretty much get portrayed as a bunch of twisted hypocrites in the book...

Sounds about right to me.

There is alot of facts in the book that definitely prove that the Catholic church and the Vatican were engaged in less than favorable acts throughout history and the book brings all of that out into a fictional story making them look unbelievably sinful, blasphemous and in the end really stupid. It's quite entertaining... I'm certain there will be quite a few sections of the book edited for the movie due to the explicit acts that occur in the book

while "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street" is based on an actual street in massachussets, that doesn't make it a "factual" story.

while this book is based on a "real" conflict between 2 groups, it is still a work of fiction.

I never said THE BOOK was a fact. There are alot of random facts presented in the book. The kind you look up in any college history textbook or research for when doing a paper for a class. He knows alot about history and presents cool little tidbits of information. The BOOK is a work of fiction. The characters are fiction. The events are fiction. However, history and architectural and classical information is not...

while "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street" is based on an actual street in massachussets, that doesn't make it a "factual" story.

while this book is based on a "real" conflict between 2 groups, it is still a work of fiction.

She didn't say the story was true, she said it had facts in it.

Whats your angle Maggie?

Are you looking for an argument, an offended catholic, or just being knit picky?

Which is it?

Angle?

I'm an Atheist, I don't care one way or the other if the church gets offended. I just get annoyed when people take fiction too seriously. ("the bible" for example)

I guess of your options, I'm just being nit picky...

It's a movie, watch it, or don't...don't protest the movie or get offended by it...it's a MOVIE

Alternatively, don't think it's an accurate representation of anything... cause it isn't...it's fiction

If the previews catch your interest, watch the movie, be entertained for an hour or 2, and then go home...

Edited by magley64

Angle?

I'm an Atheist, I don't care one way or the other if the church gets offended. I just get annoyed when people take fiction too seriously. ("the bible" for example)

I guess of your options, I'm just being nit picky...

It's a movie, watch it, or don't...don't protest the movie or get offended by it...it's a MOVIE

Alternatively, don't think it's an accurate representation of anything... cause it isn't...it's fiction

If the previews catch your interest, watch the movie, be entertained for an hour or 2, and then go home...

+1 but not an atheist..just a non believer