Sheet metal cutting and battery relocation

vitamincj

I want to relocate my battery to the spare tire well of my car. To accomplish this I want to remove the "hump" that protrudes up and put some flat sheet metal down. I have questions, you've got answers.

Anything special I should use to cut out the hump? I was planning on just a cut off wheel.

How should I seal the new sheetmetal? Black silicone and a couple nuts and bolts? Weld it in A-Team style?

I enjoy learning how to do new things and I am in no rush. Learning will be part of the fun.

Spare tire well

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/vitamincj/7ad7480c-dd9d-493a-8aa0-25eed28799c0.jpg

Battery Box

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/vitamincj/455329d5-9ab2-4b47-a12e-b675d523f849.jpg

Profile of the humpdhump

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/vitamincj/580927e9-9308-4e18-8dd1-0dfb179abb8d.jpg

What kind of sheet metal are you looking to use? May want to think about rust proofing. Also i would either bolt it in with some silicone like you said or remove the gas tank to weld (if its close to where it needs welding). I might just be paranoid, but welding too close to a gas tank would make me nervous (though I have heard some stories from crazy old-timers about welding holes in gas tanks while a buddy continues to pump gas into the tank to keep it full [thus no explosive vapors]).

I love my Plasma cutter. But obviously it's one of those things not every one has. It's the only way I cut metal now. But you could use a jig saw and metal blade or a saws all. Just mark a square box to cut out abs get some 16 gauge and maybe some flat stock. Weld it in and paint it black

Maybe I need to get back under the car and see how much room I have to work with.

Yes

Yeah if the gas tank is below, you probably dont want to plasma cut.

Yes

If dropping the tank is not so important, I am assuming quality is not the first priority. That being said, you could use rivets and seam sealer.

Yes

Yes

If dropping the tank is not so important, I am assuming quality is not the first priority. That being said, you could use rivets and seam sealer.

You tell me. I am a newb so that is why I am asking. I don't want to drop the tank but if I need to I shall. I am not in a hurry.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

CJ

You tell me. I am a newb so that is why I am asking. I don't want to drop the tank but if I need to I shall. I am not in a hurry.

CJ

It depends on how clean of a look your going for and how long you want it to last. If it were me (and it were not a daily as I'm assuming this isn't your daily) I would drop the tank and weld the sheet metal in and paint everything. Just my $.02

CJ

For a professional look, drop the tank. It's probably the safest way to do it anyway. It might make it easier to ensure you can see what you're doing top and bottom. Besides, if you poke a hole in it when you're cutting, you'll have to drop it anyway.

BUT, if you can cut the hole and you don't care how it looks, by all means bypass it. I'm not 100% sure what the end goal is. :)

You can use a cutoff wheel it will work and it's small enough to be able to use then hammer down the edges and then seam seal and rivet. Or you could make a shelf to sit above the hump outside of the car then install with bolts or weld it in then paint that would look the best in my opinion.. Or you can not move it to the truck cuz it really serves no reason unless you want less weight up front.