Turbocharger FYI

GSXRAntwon

Pretty good info in here, thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.turbodirect.co.za/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=778&Itemid=21

"Precision is a company that up until recently was really just a distributor of Garrett turbo’s. They would take Garrett turbo’s and resell them, mainly focusing on the aftermarket scene. Then they started to modify Garrett turbo’s and openly advertise how their turbo’s were out performing standard Garrett turbo’s. As you can guess Garrett wasn’t happy about that. You would have to assume Precision as a company knew what they were doing. We have all heard the saying: “you shouldn’t crap where you sleep”. Garrett then cut off precision as a supplier."

Interesting... So it seems Precision turbos are just copys and parts of other turbos put into one... Seems like it would almost be better to get a Garrett over a Precision and get a billet wheel for it.

Well for there older units at least, until they started designing there own turbo.

Pretty good info in here, thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.turbodirect.co.za/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=778&Itemid=21

"Precision is a company that up until recently was really just a distributor of Garrett turbo’s. They would take Garrett turbo’s and resell them, mainly focusing on the aftermarket scene. Then they started to modify Garrett turbo’s and openly advertise how their turbo’s were out performing standard Garrett turbo’s. As you can guess Garrett wasn’t happy about that. You would have to assume Precision as a company knew what they were doing. We have all heard the saying: “you shouldn’t crap where you sleep”. Garrett then cut off precision as a supplier."

"Recenty" was at least 5-6 years ago when we found that out with Mark's car. Trying to put Tial SS 1.02 A/R housings on whatever Precisions latest & greatest billet turbo was at the time and they wouldn't go on. Precision rep would not say or even acknowledge they weren't Garrett center's. I was flat-out telling him they were Turbonetics and he wouldn't comment lol

I stopped buying Precision turbos long before that due to an absurdly high failure / issue rate as compared to MHI / Garrett. I do know the margin has always been very good so it/s difficult for most shops to over-look the profit margin in favor of what is a better product.

Jeff

I had a Garrett custom built for the Zx2 back in 09 and it scattered on the dyno. Garrett told me it was due to oil starvation and they wouldn't warranty it.

Put a brand new Precision on, changed literally nothing except the turbo (not even the oil line/fitting) and it dyno'd and ran perfect for years before the engine gave.

I think they all intermingle in some way.

Interesting... So it seems Precision turbos are just copys and parts of other turbos put into one... Seems like it would almost be better to get a Garrett over a Precision and get a billet wheel for it.

Well for there older units at least, until they started designing there own turbo.

Garrett has had their own billet line under the GTX name for a few years now.

I had a Garrett custom built for the Zx2 back in 09 and it scattered on the dyno. Garrett told me it was due to oil starvation and they wouldn't warranty it.

Put a brand new Precision on, changed literally nothing except the turbo (not even the oil line/fitting) and it dyno'd and ran perfect for years before the engine gave.

I think they all intermingle in some way.

If you had one "Built" that is probably why. There are hundreds of shops that build hybrid Garrett turbos that are not on Garrett's website as something they build/sell.

Forced Performance is obviously a better one but for every FP there are 100 terrible examples unfortunately.

Jeff

PS -- That being said, any turbo can fail for a variety of reasons but it wasn't hard to look back through invoices and know we had issues with 6 in 10 Precision's and 1 in 50 MHI or Garrett's. Profit margin wasn't worth the head-aches...

This has been pretty widely known in the DSM world for a while. The BB Precisions seem to have far less issues than the JB ones. I personally have had 2 Garrett based FP BB turbos on my car and not an issue with either thus far.