wtb battery

wnaplay1647545503

I just picked up a refurb'd battery at Buckeye Battery in Plain City for $40 + core. Kind of a long drive over there for ya but could be worth it if you have a few extra dead car batteries sitting around collecting dust. They'll give ya $7 each out of them. I ended up paying $20 for the refurb'd battery cause I took over 3 extra dead ones.

Never knew there was a difference in chargers. Just did a little reading between the 2. So a float charger is better to use than a trickle. So should you fully charge the battery and then put it on a float charger or just put on a float charger? The float charger seems like a better choice as it will shut off and back on as it senses the battery needs charged, but why would you ever use a trickle charger then?

A float charger will bring back a battery that's usually deemed "dead" or weak; I have done this a few times before using one of my float chargers. In the state of your battery, you can charge it any of the two ways you mentioned, but the float charger is a plug-in-and-forget type of device; disconnect it when you're ready to start the car. I trust my float chargers enough to leave them connected to my cars during a winter hibernation period which may last up to 7 months at a time.

Trickle charger is an older technology, I believe. Float chargers are usually touted as "microprocessor controlled". I have no idea if float charging can be performed automatically without some kind of an electronic logic controller. When a battery voltage is deemed too weak, my float chargers will recondition the battery by charging it to 16V but they don't linger there; once the target has been reached, the battery voltage is then allowed to settle down to 13.2V when the floating mode begins. Whenever the voltage falls below 13.2V, the charger will bump it to 13.3V then stop and repeat.

One of my float chargers has a charging protocol or programming for an AGM battery. I'm unsure how that compared to my others, but they have been used on a few AGM batteries without any degrading effect.

So i have a trickle charger which i believe is 2volts and i also have battery charger with a 2 volt setting. If i wanted to charge a car battery with either how long would i leave the charger connected to a battery? What about a motorcycle battery? I assume once the these chargers are done i could then connect the gloat charge and leave it. I have no luck with motorcycle batteries but then again i always leave them connected to a trickle charger for extended periods of time.