65 Daytona

Buteo

I was at an SCCA Socializer many years ago at Red Roof Inn HQ (we used to have a February "Bench Racing" socializer). In attendance was "the" Bob Johnson that used to drive Cobra's for Shelby. Bob lived in Columbus and owned Johnson's catering. Bob told the story that after the 1965(?) season, Shelby took the Daytona Coupes to Bonneville to set some land speed records. Afterwards he was offered two of the cars with trailers and spares for $5000 (or some such sum - still significant money in the '60's) but passed on the opportunity because no one wanted a couple of used of aluminum race cars covered with salt!

And I wish I had kept some of my cars I have when I was younger - ha!

Great pics!

Oh wow! That would been quite the steal! Hard to believe that at some point they were only looked upon as essentially junk race cars in the grand scheme of things.

I've been up to Boulder, Colorado to visit the shelby museuem and they had a couple originals on hand. It's amazing to see the differences in each as they essentially tweaked the car with nearly every version.

The car is fun and runs better than it looks. It's a blast white knuckle type time for sure.