Traveling with water in a get home bag

87GT

I have come up with some options for carrying water in a get home bag. GHB would be supplies you would need to walk home from wherever you happen to be. I came up with a few options that include water and no water. Since it becomes heavy after a long hike with the rest of my supplies I am not sure what is the best option. It would be about 17 miles from work to my house. That would probably take me 8 hours of walking if I didn't stop for a break? I am not in good shape and carrying around 20lbs in my bag. What do you recommend?

I would say pick only two from this list

1) Camelbak bladder filled with water (or not filled with water until something bad happens)

2) Vapur Microfilter Bottle

3) Lifestraw personal water filter

4) Water tables iodine or chlorine dioxide

5) Empty cleaned plastic water bottles (2-3 liters)

6) Emergency water packets (3-4 packets per day minimum)

Empty Camelbak, but a gallon jug of water in the car that you change out from time to time. I'd keep the life straw in the car too. Its light weight and better to have it and not need it. Good to see people think about getting home.

When Alabama got hit with that bad weather and all those people were stranded on the highway, my wife thanked me for keeping a bag of goodies in her car.

Empty Camelbak, but a gallon jug of water in the car that you change out from time to time. I'd keep the life straw in the car too. Its light weight and better to have it and not need it. Good to see people think about getting home.

When Alabama got hit with that bad weather and all those people were stranded on the highway, my wife thanked me for keeping a bag of goodies in her car.

Boyscouts told me "always prepared". ;)

Jumping to conclusions here, but if you're going to be preparing for the worst, relying on being able to find safe water is pretty dumb IMO. Hit the gym and get a camelback.

I have 2 camelbak's :)

Hit the gym and get a camelback.

This. If nothing else make sure your cardio/strength can get you home. Being a McBapie with the best supplies and plans is futile.

I'm not the most fit, but I'm changing that. Also, I hunt and hike year round with my pack. If I ever get lost in the woods I have a fighting chance. It also helps to get use to lugging it around.

Good advice.

Redundancy is a must especially with a key element of survival like water. Keep a jug in the car and multiple ways to purify water. I like to have water on hand, a purification device like a life straw or chlorine tabs and a way to boil water. Since fire is also a key element and already having the redundancy of multiple ways to make fire you can't beat having a small metal cup or pot to boil it in.

That said I have a camelbak, Lifestraw, chlorine tabs and a small metal cup(for cooking or boiling water). Straw and tabs are packed into the cup saving space and its relatively light.

Redundancy is a must especially with a key element of survival like water. Keep a jug in the car and multiple ways to purify water. I like to have water on hand, a purification device like a life straw or chlorine tabs and a way to boil water. Since fire is also a key element and already having the redundancy of multiple ways to make fire you can't beat having a small metal cup or pot to boil it in.

That said I have a camelbak, Lifestraw, chlorine tabs and a small metal cup(for cooking or boiling water). Straw and tabs are packed into the cup saving space and its relatively light.

Also good advice. I carry 4 different ways to start fire.

I would add: practice these methods. Everyone thinks it's easy, and most of it is, but under duress and possibly in unfamiliar territory it can be a different story.

Also, learning how to boil in other containers is a good idea IMO.

I would watch keeping a jug of water in a car in the summer months esp. if its plastic i carry tablets and a water filter

Agreed. High temps can cause a car to get super hot (which we all know) and milk jugs (etc.) may not be the best idea.

I did the whole boy scout thing and was a good one, but I don't see the need in being overly prepared in Ohio. I've done a broken down vehicle and hiked 10miles to get help and it wasn't that big of a deal. I was even with a large, slow guy who wore cowboy boots. He was in a bit of pain from the walk. It did take at least 8 hrs though on township roads just for reference. People did pass us, but there was no way anyone was stopping because the guy I was with looked like a cowboy serial killer (staw cowboy hat and all LOL.) We were even in Southern Ohio so most people would have normally been friendly.

If I felt I needed to have water. I'd go with the tablets for sure and many of them since they are light, small and effective. I haven't been into this sort of thing for many years so I don't know if there are better technologies today. We carried them on 50milers.

My military truck carries what it needs to be prepared, but thats more due to age and cost of getting help when it breaks.

In winter I keep a blanket and a very warm winter coveralls in my work car in case I find myself walking off the highway. Walking in office cloths and just a coat would have been brutal this year.

We were even in Southern Ohio so most people would have normally been friendly.

...people are "friendly" down here? News to me.

If I felt I needed to have water...

:lol:

My military truck carries what it needs to be prepared, but thats more due to age and cost of getting help when it breaks.

You drive that thing everywhere you go?

...people are "friendly" down here? News to me.

:lol:

You drive that thing everywhere you go?

If you look like a local, yeah they are friendly. Otherwise they can be clanish.

Its a vehicle that you don't own unless you enjoy the troubles of ownership. You do a pretrip which includes everything from lighting to brakes and tires every time out. And you bring necessary gear along. They were designed to run in convoys with support personnel and tow trucks. LOL

In winter I keep a blanket and a very warm winter coveralls in my work car in case I find myself walking off the highway. Walking in office cloths and just a coat would have been brutal this year.

Yes I keep a blanket, extra jacket, and 2 tarps in my car. I've used them before when my car broke down on the highway in the winter time. It gets extra cold out there :/

I carry a Katadyn Microfilter on top of a few gallons in the trunk. The Katadyn will screw right on top of a wide mouth Nalgene for easy use.

In the winter time look into getting down quilts. They're pricey but worth the money over synthetic fills when it comes to the warmth they provide, how small they pack and how light they are.

The tarp is a good idea as well. Always have some sort of rope or para-cord in the car with you as well and a headlamp or flashlight that's a flood.

I carry a Katadyn Microfilter on top of a few gallons in the trunk. The Katadyn will screw right on top of a wide mouth Nalgene for easy use.

In the winter time look into getting down quilts. They're pricey but worth the money over synthetic fills when it comes to the warmth they provide, how small they pack and how light they are.

The tarp is a good idea as well. Always have some sort of rope or para-cord in the car with you as well and a headlamp or flashlight that's a flood.

You think the katadyn is better then this option?

http://vapur.us/explorer-series-microfilter

You think the katadyn is better then this option?

http://vapur.us/explorer-series-microfilter

It all depends. That product seems it would work well. I'd prefer to not have a plastic bag that has the potential of ripping.

I know I can find replacement parts for my Katadyn when I need them. It screws right on top of my Nalgene bottles. It packs pretty small and light and t also has multiple flow options when filtering so you can save the filter if you're pumping clean(er) water. All of this on top of the field testing it's been through.