Potential Corvette Buyers - Beware (Coughlin)

JuicedH22

So one of my corvette bros bought a c6z from Coughlin, and had a nightmare with it (modified 06 with a blower).... Coughlin ended up buying the car back, but are seeminlgy trying to sell it... just thought I would pass this along... (not to mention the outrageous price tag, lol)

"Looks like they are trying to sucker someone and cut their loses on my old car. An 06 that's blown up twice and they put a used 06 motor in it and are trying to get $50k out of it. My laugh for the day lol"

"First time was the ringland on piston #5 went 5 days after I bought the car. 2nd time the dealership decided to cheap out and cut corners on rebuilding my motor by putting 7 of my old pistons and rods and crank into a new block without machining, align boring and honing, or anything. Also, they used a head place that has never worked with LS7 heads before. A hole about the size of grapefruit was blown through the block at cylinder #1 where the piston grenaded. The service manager that was in charge at that time thought it'd be smart to drive the car around the block to see if he could figure out what was wrong. Lost all my parts and everything."

" it had an Edelbrock EForce on it the first time it blew at 11k miles. The first issue was mostly due to a hose being hooked up wrong on the blower when I got the car and under boost it would suck the oil out of the sump tank. They warrantied that issue and tried to apparently fix it but fat fingered it all."

Car:

http://www.coughlincars.com/VehicleDetails/used-2006-Chevrolet-Corvette-2dr_Cpe_Z06-Marysville-OH/2226580673?cs:e=fb&cs:i:vin=1G1YY26EX65109449&cs:pro=csm&cs:rv=E02AD0ED61B23D982B97A73FDD9E3279

I work with a guy who tried to make an offer on a Corvette they had there a couple years ago. They kept saying they would get back to him for an entire week, then that weekend he went to look at a brand new grand sport and he ended up buying that instead. Funniest part was when Coughlin called him back to say they would take the offer, but he said he had already bought a car and they lost the deal.

I work with a guy who tried to make an offer on a Corvette they had there a couple years ago. They kept saying they would get back to him for an entire week, then that weekend he went to look at a brand new grand sport and he ended up buying that instead. Funniest part was when Coughlin called him back to say they would take the offer, but he said he had already bought a car and they lost the deal.

I've had this happen multiple times due to lazy dealers. Love telling them I already bought something

Coughlin is crooked. Not at all surprised by reading this. A couple of years ago they had a 99 Eclipse GSX in their used car inventory for $6k. The ad stated it was "Never modified" with extensive service history and pristine condition. I thought.. ok doesn't hurt to go give it a look as I was looking for something cheap to modify and break. lol

So I called and made an offer of $4k cash. They laughed and said no that was too cheap for something this clean and well taken care of. I said ok then I'll stop by and if it is what they say it is I'll pay $5k for it cash on the spot.

I stopped by, without telling them who I was, and looked at this turd on wheels. Everything they said was misleading or an outright lie. The car was obviously previously modified. It had a 3 inch exhaust on it sitting there along with lowered suspension. The front bumper had obviously been cut where a front mount used to exist. The interior A-Pillar had drill holes from a triple gauge pod and there was a missing heater vent above the radio where other gauge kit existed. Popping the hood revealed an intake pipe with air filter (Dejon) and evidence of someone that had put it back to stock.

The biggest laugh I had was the fact that the hood was a black hood CF hood that literally had chunks out of it and a burn mark underneath where obviously some oil exploded up and got too hot (likely dipstick popping out). The pictures on the net (Autotrader) had obviously been doctored or they were not even of the car for sale. I believe doctored because they had the same wheels and it looked like their lot. They just doctored the photo of the hood to look stock.

The sales guy came out enthusiastically and said "she's fast! She's been modified". I said really??? Your internet ad claims it was never modified and the pictures don't look anything like this thing. He said "I'll have to check into that...idk." I asked him to start the car and it was missing like crazy and the belts squealed horribly.

I said, "I'll give you $1k cash for this right now... it's not worth anywhere close to what you are asking and frankly it's falsely advertised". He claimed their was no wiggle room and the original $6k price was fair. I said ok thanks and walked away literally laughing.

I know an Eclipse is no Vette but it does show how shady their business practices are. Most dealers are though so I'm not surprised by stories like this anymore.

Pavo

Heard good and bad about them, the two guys running our service department came from there with nothing good to say. I interveiwed with the service manager out there, and obviously I didn't go to work there. It's basically a new car selling machine out there. I did pick up my Mazdaspeed Miata out there, but I thoroughly inspected it myself, not like they knew what to do with that car anyway, they just wanted it gone because it was December.

When I bought my last half ton there in 2010 they were good people. Gave me more than I thought my trade was worth and were willing to deal on my out the door price requirements.

I also had no problems with warranty service. every dealer has assholes and idiots working for them though and its easy to encounter them sometimes.

When I bought my last half ton there in 2010 they were good people. Gave me more than I thought my trade was worth and were willing to deal on my out the door price requirements.

I also had no problems with warranty service. every dealer has assholes and idiots working for them though and its easy to encounter them sometimes.

If you're in Etna, is it safe to assume you were dealing with them on the east side?

Stay the hell away from Chesrown in Delaware while you're at it. They screwed so much shit up on a simple recall fix for the Vibe it's simply ridiculous. When they found out they screwed up, they never bothered to contact me afterward (even though they said they would like the "always" do for a follow up and to question me about what I thought of the service. I wonder why.

This was just one issue with them...

Stay the hell away from Chesrown in Delaware while you're at it. They screwed so much shit up on a simple recall fix for the Vibe it's simply ridiculous. When they found out they screwed up, they never bothered to contact me afterward (even though they said they would like the "always" do for a follow up and to question me about what I thought of the service. I wonder why.

This was just one issue with them...

Well Benner works there now so that's another good reason to avoid, not to mention it's Dave Gill's brother who owns Chesrown. Aren't many dealers I take anything to unless you know someone there.

Yeah, Coughlin is crooked as shit. There has always been a running joke around London about taking your car there for something as simple as an oil change and them fucking up your car so bad you'll need to buy a new one. They try to convince people that take cars in for service to spend thousands more on other shit the car doesn't even need done. His son would always, and I assume still does, take nice cars off the lot and beat the shit out of them for a week or two, then they'd be back on the lot to sell. And I absolutely hate Tom Coughlin, he's one of the people that immediately throw out the, "do you have any idea who I am?" phrase as soon as he is disagreed with.

There are also several other reasons I can't stand their family that I shouldn't go on about here. Just growing up around them and the local stories make the family very easy to hate