T-Mobile tablet deals

copperhead

T-Mobile has announced that they are going to be selling a large number of their LTE enabled tablets for the same price as their wi-fi only equivalents. I have no clue how long this sale will be going on, but it's already started. I just ordered a Nexus 7 (current model). More info here:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/04/operation-tablet-freedom-explained/

http://slickdeals.net/f/6849410-t-mobile-4g-lte-tablets-free-1-2gb-data-per-month-32gb-asus-nexus-7-fhd-tablet-269-amp-more-for-new-existing-customers-w-voice-plan

Buy an LTE tablet through their website at wi-fi tablet price. Either finance for two years or buy outright. Postpaid plans only. Until end of 2014 get $10 off tablet data plans every month. If you have a T-Mobile postpaid voice plan, you always get $10 off tablet data plans. These stack, which means if you have a T-Mobile postpaid voice plan, the 1 gig tablet plan is free until the end of 2014, after which it is $10/month. Add $10/month for 3 gig, or add $20/month for 5 gig to all my numbers if you want a bigger plan.

If you don't currently have T-Mobile and don't want to get T-Mobile for voice, it's still only $10/month for 1 gig until the end of the year, after which it's $20/month.

If you put a tablet on a post paid account that also has a voice plan, that tablet gets 200 megs of LTE data for free every month. This also stacks with whatever plan you get. So if you have a voice line with T-Mobile, you could buy a tablet outright and stick it on your plan to get a free 200 megs every month, or if you get the 1 gig plan its actually 1 gig and 200 megs.

If you elect to get a tablet on the EIC plan (monthly payments) it's very cheap. They require a 2 year agreement though to go this route, as it's two years of payments. If you cancel service before the time is up you have to pay it off right then. They do a credit check, and if you have good credit there's no down payment required. They don't charge interest, and for the Nexus 7 I ordered, the payments all add up to exactly the sale price. The Nexus 7 is under $12/month for payments with no money down. Some tablets are cheaper, the Ipads are higher.

Once the balance on my prepaid accounts gets used up I'm going to convert both to postpaid. Currently spending $60/month each for the 3 gig plan, so $120 total. Family plan is full price for first account, $20 off for second, so I'll be at $100/month. 1 gig data plan for tablet is free for this year, $10 for next, and payments are $12 a month. So through this year I'm actually saving $10 a month, and next year it's a wash. Plus I'll be able to apply my corporate discount to a post paid plan, which they don't allow for prepaid, so I'll be saving another 15%-20% every month.

So in the end, I'm saving money by getting a tablet and converting my plan. For those that haven't used T-Mobile, I get 30-40 Megabit in Columbus on LTE and 20 Megabit on their 3g. It's fast.

To anyone interested NOT currently on T-mobile...

I've been with them since.....2007? maybe earlier.

Saw the rollout of HSPA+ in columbus which in 2009-2010 was getting about 9mbps on a normal 3G device.

When I upgraded to a 4G HSPA32 phone I was getting about 20mbps in hilliard.

Now on LTE I get 30-40mbps in hilliard, which sadly is actually faster than my home WiFi

Both in Up/down and even ping which is usually 4-10ms.

Coverage may be a little splotchy but in larger cities LTE all the way