FS: 97 Toyota 4Runner Limited

*Needs Headgasket Replacement*

I am currently selling my very clean 97 4Runner Limited 4x4 V6 (no E-locker). Loaded with power everything, all windows work including the rear glass and sunroof. I am the second owner, and it has always been well maintained. Black/Graphite exterior with tan leather interior (ripped front seats). 204k miles, no visible rust (rear wheel well has a spot of surface rust but not visible with door shut). Within the past year i have done the starter, valve cover gaskets, radiator, plugs/wires, and 4 new Yokohama ATS tires/alignment. TB/Waterpump have been done already.

Asking $1700 with the Pioneer in-dash DVD player, $1500 with no radio. pm me offers, i wont be offended, worse thing that can happen is i say no.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Stallion Motorsports

How much with the head gasket replaced, if that's an option?

I'm not fixing it at this time. The truck never overheated, however if I was keeping it I would swap the motor. Used/rebuild motors can be had for $500-$3000 depending on mileage and year. The best deal i saw was $1250 for a 90k motor.

Tom

Edited by Stallion Motorsports

When did they stop putting I6's in these?

Also, if it never overheated how have you deretmined that it needs only a HG job?

JP-im not sure what year they went to a V6, however it should be the same motor from 96-02. In my nonprofessional opinion it needs a headgasket set at the minimum. It could be more, but I have no way to tell and I'm not paying to have it torn down to verify. If I was keeping it I would put a engine in it.

Tom

When did they stop putting I6's in these?

Also, if it never overheated how have you deretmined that it needs only a HG job?

They never put I6's in 4runners. The 3.0 in the Toyota trucks of that era are notorious for blowing head gaskets.

JP-im not sure what year they went to a V6, however it should be the same motor from 96-02. In my nonprofessional opinion it needs a headgasket set at the minimum. It could be more, but I have no way to tell and I'm not paying to have it torn down to verify. If I was keeping it I would put a engine in it.

Tom

The 3.0 was introduced some time around the body style change in 89. It remained until the truck turned into the Tacoma in 95, when they went to I believe the 3.4. Whoever is interested in this should look up info on it first, considering how common this problem is it might be better to just do head gaskets on the current engine.

Tom

I guess more specifically the question would be what are the symptoms? Overheating? Coolant pouring out of the head? Ect.

I forgot to mention its a 3.4

Tom

Oh yeah, I just woke up when i read that and was posting from my phone. That would have been a 3.4 for sure, sorry. Should have a timing chain instead of a belt, so as far as head gaskets go it should be an easy engine to work on. I don't think head gaskets are a common issue on the 3.4 though.

Oh yeah, I just woke up when i read that and was posting from my phone. That would have been a 3.4 for sure, sorry. Should have a timing chain instead of a belt, so as far as head gaskets go it should be an easy engine to work on. I don't think head gaskets are a common issue on the 3.4 though.

Nope, timing belt. V6's weren't chains until the 3.5 GR motor came out.

Someone snag this up. If I had the extra cash laying around I'd be all over it.

Be sure to post up how easy the repair was , so I can further kick myself in the ass.

Someone snag this up. If I had the extra cash laying around I'd be all over it.

Be sure to post up how easy the repair was , so I can further kick myself in the ass.

Ditto. :megusta: