Audi Maintenance Button

jeffro

You know, the little button on the dash that tells you the life of your oil? On a fresh change it tells me i have 10k miles, and usually ticks down at an accurate rate(mileage at least). 10k seems a bit much. Are these accurate? I use Mobile 1 0w-40 synthetic. Edited by jeffro

My B5 had the service1 or service 2 indicator? Was a long time ago... I remember it being pretty easy to clear, if that's what you're wanting. I'm sure a 10k mile oil change works on some engines under some conditions using some oils for some people.

Wait, what was the question?

False

Pretty sure it's all mileage based. There's no oil quality sensor that I know of, definitely not on a B5 and I highly doubt it on a B6. My B8 is also mileage based, it does however have an oil level sensor that displays on the MMI screen, there is no dipstick.

I change the oil in the B5 every 5000, in the B8 I'll just go with what the car tells me, aka manufacturer recommended interval.

Yes Audi calls for 10,000 Mile services, but please don't do that to your engine. I do every 5K in the Touareg(4.2), Audi(was 1.8 stb 2.7T), and in the GLI(1.8T) if that tells you anything. Make sure since you drive so slow you make sure to get that oil warm on longer drives so water doesn't build up in there. Depending on your motor you might get some white buildup under the cap. A good run and some higher RPM driving will take care of that.

Yes Audi calls for 10,000 Mile services, but please don't do that to your engine. I do every 5K in the Touareg(4.2), Audi(was 1.8 stb 2.7T), and in the GLI(1.8T) if that tells you anything. Make sure since you drive so slow you make sure to get that oil warm on longer drives so water doesn't build up in there. Depending on your motor you might get some white buildup under the cap. A good run and some higher RPM driving will take care of that.

Last time i laid into it she fell flat and then stuttered for a good 10 minutes after that.

Last time i laid into it she fell flat and then stuttered for a good 10 minutes after that.

Premium fuel?

When I bought the A3 it crapped out at high RPM. Thought it was the HPFP, ended up being the Subaru dealer putting 87 in.

Premium fuel?

When I bought the A3 it crapped out at high RPM. Thought it was the HPFP, ended up being the Subaru dealer putting 87 in.

Nah i always run 87 :D premium too rich for my blood. I almost always have a CEL for misfires but its usually not even noticeable so i dont bother to investigate.

I would say change every 5k. I did on my 2.0 and 2.0T GTI. Ive done every 10k on my CC and im going back to 5k after my change at 20k.

87 fuel is no good jeff, it might not be a big deal since you have the 3.0 but I would atleast step up to 89 and change oil 5k-7500k esp with the hot summer coming.

I would throw a drop in K&N and change the plugs to cover yourself.

Nah i always run 87 :D premium too rich for my blood. I almost always have a CEL for misfires but its usually not even noticeable so i dont bother to investigate.

Seriously? So that $3 you saved at the pump is worth fucking up your car?