3D Printers

jeffro

Anyone else have one? What do you have? What do you print with it?

I picked up a Rrintrbot Simple Kit a few weeks back from microcenter and have no been able to stop playing with it. Great little starter machine if you like to tinker at a reasonable price. I am currently in the process of designing and printing pieces to make my own larger printer using the existing motors, and electronics. Once that is done the possibilities will be endless.

http://jasonlcurby.com/images/printrbot-simple-3d-printer2.jpg

been looking at them. how much did that set you back?

The kit i purchased (you have to assemble it, takes about 4 hours) runs 349.99 right now. Its build volume is a bit small (100cmX100cmX100cm) but can be upgraded to print larger. Filament runs about 35$ per spool, and you get quite a bit of prints from one spool.

There are other ones you can buy complete online (IE XYZ Da Vinci) runs about $500 and comes complete ready to go. Very mixed reviews on that machine though so buy at your own risk.

Several people I have talked to buy them simply to make toys for their children or props for board games. There are a few of our business customers that bought them for mock-ups.

Dammit, I want one!

How has yours worked so far? I imagine, as with anything where the consumer has to put it together themselves, many of those "mixed reviews" come from shoddy... What's the word? Ah, yes, "putit togetherers".

I know people who can't fucking put a Burger King paper crown together right let alone a 3Dprinter or some Ikea furniture.

Anyone else have one? What do you have? What do you print with it?

I picked up a Rrintrbot Simple Kit a few weeks back from microcenter and have no been able to stop playing with it. Great little starter machine if you like to tinker at a reasonable price. I am currently in the process of designing and printing pieces to make my own larger printer using the existing motors, and electronics. Once that is done the possibilities will be endless.

Well... we're in the future. We can now use a printer to print a better printer. When computers can make their own upgrades, it's time to initiate the SHTF protocols.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-c1-3d-printing-prosthetics-20140425-m-story.html#page=1

3D printer + $100 in parts = prosthetic arm (that really works)

Usually you think 10k-20k for a prosthetic arm.

Eyewriter, Brainwriter, 3D printer ...... the mind boggles.

Dammit, I want one!

How has yours worked so far? I imagine, as with anything where the consumer has to put it together themselves, many of those "mixed reviews" come from shoddy... What's the word? Ah, yes, "putit togetherers".

I know people who can't fucking put a Burger King paper crown together right let alone a 3Dprinter or some Ikea furniture.

It has been pretty solid for the most part. The kit i bought is designed to be a "tinker" toy. If youre someone who just wants it work out of the box, then its probably not for you. I did have one wire get wrapped up in the Z axis acme rod which cause the wire to sever. A quick solder and i was back in business.

The mixed review i was talking about was about a unit that you can buy online that is ready to go out of the box for under 500 bucks. Its got a pretty decent build area but the quality is iffy. Cheap =/= good value.

I can't wait until I can illegally download blueprints for FD parts and print them at the house. :D

See below. You can design your own in autocad or some other free cad software.

You already can for some really simple parts.

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=mazda&sa=

I do a lot of work with 3d printers. Mainly ABS and HDPE. I usually use them for misc bike and car parts. I've got an electric guitar all ready to print off once school starts back up.

It looks like a solid starter kit you have there. What software are you using with it?m

I have been looking into table-top CNC's for more "solid" applications lately.

I do a lot of work with 3d printers. Mainly ABS and HDPE. I usually use them for misc bike and car parts. I've got an electric guitar all ready to print off once school starts back up.

It looks like a solid starter kit you have there. What software are you using with it?m

I have been looking into table-top CNC's for more "solid" applications lately.

Autocad and repetier host. The slicer sometimes has issues but works well for the most part

You can use a home 3d printer for prototyping and then send your files off to one of the many online companies that will print your item in sandstone or certain types of metal . it's pretty neat.

I am currently in the process of building an bike mounted enclosure for my old galaxy S2. It will allow GPS/video recording for whatever reason i choose. I am designing it so the phone will have a semi fixed case around it with a "universal" mounting system. Meaning, all i have to do a print off a custom mount, undo the wing nut and re-tighten it on the new mount. You could call it a go-pro rip off... lol.

• 2 weeks later...