2000 Chevy Silverado noise

Wes Stone

2000 Chevy Silverado 6.0 4l80e 4x4

Okay so I was getting off the highway and was slowing down and on decel I get this LOUD whirrling/clicking/grinding sound like 2 gears were supposed to engage and are just hitting at a very high rate of speed and not engaging. I don't know how else to explain it. 60MPH and under it won't do it just normal engine breaking but anything higher than 70mph it like stops engine breaking and goes into a neutral state and the noise starts.

I think its the front diff. I did drain the fluid and it has some metal on the magnet. Fluid didn't look to bad. I got a link to the pic and a video of the noise its not that great but best i can get. I tried the gopro and my cell.

If anyone is good with trucks can I drive it over to you and you have a listen or something.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_OwSLbuhvhkQ2xxQmFodzgxUE0/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_OwSLbuhvhkSEs5dnNsTFcyR3c/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Wes

Front diffs are a common issue so you may be on to something there. I'd have to hear it to be sure, because the diff should make that kind of noise slowing down from most speeds, 70mph seems kind of high just to make it do it.

Its not the tranny because wouldn't you know it that it started doing this and then BAM tranny went out. So i replaced the tranny and well it still did that. The trans was toast though as well. Lots of metal shavings in it. So i don't know what else it could be. Not sure what would make that kind of noise.