total disappointment

Reimbrandt

Picked up my baby today and she is still pretty sick........... he cleaned the carbs, new jets, etc. and it still runs the same as I took it (or maybe a little worse):nono:. You have to keep it at near half choke to even idle...... if you lower the idle while doing 55 she looses some power and runs rougher. I am so discusted that it isn't running right..... on excelleration you get all you can handle either from a stand still or doing 60. going to try and enjoy some riding the next couple of days and then take her back. Just not sure with what he has done or tried to do what he can pull out of his butt to get this thing right. One of its previous owners really screwed it up some where along the line.

Obviously he doesnt know what he is doing with carbs....But nor do I.

Carbs are for a special breed....There are those that know how to work on them.....

Then their are those who THINK they know how to work on them.

Find someone experience to correct your problems.

My shiny nickels worth.

Picked up my baby today and she is still pretty sick........... he cleaned the carbs, new jets, etc. and it still runs the same as I took it (or maybe a little worse):nono:. You have to keep it at near half choke to even idle...... if you lower the idle while doing 55 she looses some power and runs rougher. I am so discusted that it isn't running right..... on excelleration you get all you can handle either from a stand still or doing 60. going to try and enjoy some riding the next couple of days and then take her back. Just not sure with what he has done or tried to do what he can pull out of his butt to get this thing right. One of its previous owners really screwed it up some where along the line.

I hope you didn't pay the guy.

Just cause its got some age on it doesn't mean its done. Hell, like I said..........she'll run with new bikes when accelerating and yes, he does know what he is doing. The work was a swap job... I painted several bikes for him and he was doing the mechanical work. He'll get it worked out.................. venting I guess on what I hoped would be done and over with.

never don't give up on her yet.

i am not an expert nor do i claim any crazy carb skills but i got my older bikes to run and it was not impossible

find some time and find the manual

then figure out what you are looking at

1. idle screws

2. needle clip

3. jet size

4. carb sync

try to find out what was stock adjustments

then look at what was done to the bike

new pipes, aftermarket air filter

if you have upped the airflow you need to up the fuel rate

Just cause its got some age on it doesn't mean its done. Hell, like I said..........she'll run with new bikes when accelerating and yes, he does know what he is doing. The work was a swap job... I painted several bikes for him and he was doing the mechanical work. He'll get it worked out.................. venting I guess on what I hoped would be done and over with.

no its not gonna run with the new bikes in any way..but i do hope he or she figures it out for ya..i just think its time to move on..lets be honest, its old ;)

Yeah, he upped the fuel rate by putting in stage 2 jets..... he put 48 holes in the airbox to allow more flow... I wont touch the thing cause me and a wrench don't get along...............thats why I paint. Before he worked on it I put a vance & hines exhaust on it............ so he shouldn't have had any trouble setting the carbs to the rest of the bike. Like I also said, god knows what the past owner (s) have done that made this problem that much worse............. besides, the newer sport bike don't look as good to me as the older, more shapely ones do. I like some curves to my girls................

I had a crazy problem once like you are having. A bike a friend of mine had, nothing we did would get it running right. You know how we fixed it? We took EVERYTHING OFF, and made it completely stock again, stock jets, carbs, All Emissions stuff back on. Bike ran perfect after that.

Check vaccum leaks, gas tank venting problems, exhaust leaks (sometimes you cant hear them)

im assuming this is DJ kit correct?

First off what do you have on your bike to justify the stage 2 kit? I believe you should be running stage 1.

Also try running it with the choke full on, if it runs better with the choke on then you will need to dive in a do some tuning. Sounds like it needs tuning either way.

Does it idle fine? sitting still or is it rough, sound like it has a mind of its own? If those are true you most likely have a vacuum leak. If you are unsure you can spray some brake cleaner around the boots between the cylinder head and carb mating surface. If the idle changes you have a leak, also don't forget the vacuum lines (the ones for carb syncing)

Also check your plugs and make sure your spark in your coils are ok, i know its not related to what your mechanic did but you never know on the install. But check your plugs and make sure they are not fouled from the rough running.

here is the carb bible

Uh, as far as the style of jets..... I have no clue. This is a motorcycle shop I took it to and he does do good work so I don't want you guys to get the impression that we're just throwing things at it to try and fix it. Anyhoo, (nate) dang thing won't idle without some choke. If you go full choke she sounds like she is gonna blow up cause its running so fast. I'll ask tike about the vacuum leak thing............. that may be the ticket. I know its gotta be something stupid, cause it doesnt hesitate on acceleration and it is damn strong even up over 100. It just doesn't like going the slow. (kinda like a lot of you guys:D) I have the bike looking pretty sweet and I really don't plan on giving up on it. Much of the work I have had done has been bartered, so I don't really have that much out of pocket. Thanx for the help............... i'll keep you posted

Ya, after having to bikes with carbs and having to completely rebuild 1 set, i vowed to never buy another. Now I have FI and much happier :D On the RF600s I had, the petcocks and fuel pumps (unless yours is gravity fed) were always suspect. Did he balance your carbs? I would hope so....

If you really want to see a spectical, run some Seafoam through your vaccum lines! You'll be surprised how dirty it is in there!

im assuming this is DJ kit correct?

First off what do you have on your bike to justify the stage 2 kit? I believe you should be running stage 1.

Also try running it with the choke full on, if it runs better with the choke on then you will need to dive in a do some tuning. Sounds like it needs tuning either way.

Does it idle fine? sitting still or is it rough, sound like it has a mind of its own? If those are true you most likely have a vacuum leak. If you are unsure you can spray some brake cleaner around the boots between the cylinder head and carb mating surface. If the idle changes you have a leak, also don't forget the vacuum lines (the ones for carb syncing)

Also check your plugs and make sure your spark in your coils are ok, i know its not related to what your mechanic did but you never know on the install. But check your plugs and make sure they are not fouled from the rough running.

here is the carb bible

+1 for the carb site

There's your problem.

Stage 2 jets??

48 holes?

Seriously.

:plus1: I was gonna say i'll dip the carbs in the ultrasonic tank and do a rebuild for ya, but not with that. Sounds like a headache at this point. With a stock airbox and a stage 1 at most I'd work on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to think out of the box here, sometimes I've had other issues act like bad carbs - you might try checking the charging system (battery, stator, voltage regulator), ignition system (CDI, Coils, Pulse coil), short in the harness or plugs not fully plugged in. If the guy is good and the carbs are not the issue then no matter how many times you rebuild the carbs it won't fix the issue. My -.09 after change

Put a factory airbox back on, stage 1 jet kit, factory filter, and keep that exhaust.

Make sure the idle screws on each carb are where they were when taken apart and sync all four carbs as close as you can get it.

That may get you where you need. Don't give up hope, my first carb rebuild was on my 87 CBR600 and afterwards she ran so much better.

THE BITCH IS BACK............ got her back last week. Been ridn ever since........... Runs good and is real quick on her feet. Idles nice and sounds sweet............. might be old, but is a damn sweet ride. Thanks for all your tips......... hope to see you guys at one of the get togethers this year. I'M OUTTA HERE................ lol

Good deal..I paint as a Hobby myself...and I can do nice single and mutli-tone jobs...but I have never attempted any airbrush work...Where are you at....I might want to use you if your interested for some artwork if the need ever arrises.

THE BITCH IS BACK............ got her back last week. Been ridn ever since........... Runs good and is real quick on her feet. Idles nice and sounds sweet............. might be old, but is a damn sweet ride. Thanks for all your tips......... hope to see you guys at one of the get togethers this year. I'M OUTTA HERE................ lol

So, what did you do?