May be looking for a Tundra...

RC K9

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are 2 things besides prices

#1- No foreign maker has an HD truck. Many trades require an HD truck.

#2- The Domestic trucks are better quality when it comes to the frame and drivetrain mechanicals in terms of strength and durability.

So bottom line is, while the domestic trucks are cheaper, they are engineered to have the shit beat out of them when it comes to towing, payload and off road. The Tundra and Titan are not.

If I am thinking he is the right guy, Snowflake works in the oil fields on the pipelines. Many of the trucks you see out there are welding rigs, which have to haul 2000+ lbs of welding equipment, so typically you see 3500 dually welding rigs.

The Tacoma on the other hand is a different story. Could possibly be the most durable truck there is aside from towing.

Their are foreign manu's that build plenty of work/HD trucks. What you mean is that it's not financially feasible for them to offer them here. The fact that any manufacturer (other than the big 3) offers a truck here is nothing short of amazing. Anytime you unfairly dissuade competition, it stifles growth. It's why our trucks are just now being integrated with decent up-to-date tech. It's getting harder and harder to get away with feeding us what we'll accept (why are domestics cars are finally starting to match up to more of the foreign competition, as well) as opposed to what we deserve. Just my .02c, of course.

Bottom line is all the trucks currently available are great and MUCH improved over older trucks, even 5-years ago, let alone 10-years+ ago...

With that said I would wait and see what the 2015 F150 specs and info says!

I was set on a new Silverado with the 6.2 but have been researching the new F150 and you can't argue with the features and weight loss. I know many people with Tundra's and they LOVE them. If you are doing crazy towing you aren't looking at one anyway since you would be in the Diesel market which pretty much voids most of the back on forth in this thread...

I am pretty excited to see how the new all aluminum Ford F150 turns out. If I were in the market for a new full-size truck, I would definitely have to wait around so as to consider it, as well.

Apparently, they've been testing them for quite some time in various actual working conditions. They were offered out to various construction groups/agencies, whatever (I dont recall details) without informing those parties of what made these Fords different exactly. In doing so, they've learned what aluminum heavy use areas to reinforce, etc before building and releasing them to the public.

What I'm worried about is the cost of repairs, etc and the impending increase in insurance coverage - I would think.

Just got a call from Ford. Its appears the engine was misfiring. No kidding. I have a scanner and pulled the codes, lol.

So they want to do a deflector down by the "charge air cooler", do an induction service, (spark plugs, filter, carbon cleanout, blah blah blah), and a PCM update. Of course I have to pay for all of this since it's not covered under warranty anymore.

Lesson learned...next time get the extended warranty.

With all the TSB's on the all mighty ecoboost I would contact Ford and tell them you shouldn't have to pay to fix the issue. They should recall them to have the issues fixed.

Sounds to me like the pcm update caused the plugs to wear out or carbon up faster, causing misfires. Therefor if it wasn't for fords pcm update you wouldn't have these issues to pay for.

• Downvote 1

I agree with you; however, Ford will tell me to shove it.

http://blog.bluespringsfordparts.com/245/ecoboost-shudder/

Interesting stuff on PG 1

Near the bottom of the 1st page, "The Current" posys my problem to a T.

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100708

And here is why I think Ford would tell me to take a hike.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/2-f150-ecoboost-news/4553-feds-drop-ford-f150-ecoboost-investigation.html

It's still worth it to file a complaint with them, as more people complain they may eventually recall it and refund your money.

We had a issue with prius water pumps going bad, outside of warranty but anytime someone called with a complaint it got fixed for free. Eventually they recalled it.

The 2011 had issues later resolved in the 2012+ models. Never buy the first year model of a vehicle.

My '13 is running top notch. I'd put it up against a Tundra (or any other manufacturer to boot) for payload, towing capacity, or all out in a straight line any day. I never thought I'd say that about a Ford, but I guess they fucking did something right, flagship vehicle and all.

Thought about getting an ecoboost but decided to get a raptor instead. I've been thoroughly impressed by the truck. Love the Bluetooth, my sync, navigation, etc etc. the backseat is huuuuuge. My three kids have plenty of room too. The power is there. The sound is there. The gas mileage? 11.2 mpg, but I drive it like a madman. License plate::: UNHYBRD. I find myself just looking for shit to swerve into and hit with this thing. And I got it essentially for invoice, fully optioned out. Resale value is pretty good on these trucks should i decide to sell it. I'd never buy a Toyota truck. Just my opinion though

OK - Agreed I have used both of my tundra's for light work, but wow they just go. Had a Access cab in 2000 and drove for 104K (Traded to get four real doors - Double Cab). This one has 106K now and just took a trip to the Outer Banks and again was rock solid (Tires / brakes / oil changes and gas). Have not replaced anything that was not a wear item.

Saw multiple people pulling boats w/them in OBX (Locals). Unsure about their experience.

Would highly recommend for anyone not using for a daily work truck (No experience).

Co-worker has a 2013, and has had the same exact issues as the OP had... Google search clearly shows its 2011-2013.. .Not a first year model issue.

Yeah, these issues are not just limited to 2011. Ford has revised the intercooler at least 3 different times trying to get this right.

A google search also found that the all mighty Tundra has some problems of its own.

No shit a complicated product came off an assembly line of thousands and thousands, consisting of millions of tiny parts brought together from the world over and sometimes they have some problems. :rolleyes:

The fact is Toyota's reputation for quality may not be what it was but it's still one of the best. Just like capitalism. That's just fuckin fact and you can argue until your blue in the face. That's the great thing about facts. For example, it doesn't matter if you believe the world is flat or not. It doesn't change the fact. :)

• Downvote 1

No shit a complicated product came off an assembly line of thousands and thousands, consisting of millions of tiny parts brought together from the world over and sometimes they have some problems. :rolleyes:

The fact is Toyota's reputation for quality may not be what it was but it's still one of the best. Just like capitalism. That's just fuckin fact and you can argue until your blue in the face. That's the great thing about facts. For example, it doesn't matter if you believe the world is flat or not. It doesn't change the fact. :)

No shit but I'm not the one that's acting like Toyota has no problems. Roll your eyes on these Nutts?

• Downvote 1

The 2011 had issues later resolved in the 2012+ models. Never buy the first year model of a vehicle.

My '13 is running top notch. I'd put it up against a Tundra (or any other manufacturer to boot) for payload, towing capacity, or all out in a straight line any day. I never thought I'd say that about a Ford, but I guess they fucking did something right, flagship vehicle and all.

:eek: Never thought I'd hear you say that.

Anyone with a Tundra wanna hook chains? :D

This. Dad's ecoboost, as I've stated many times, hauls without a hitch. No probs since day one. It's a 2013 and never fails to rise to the occasion.

Today we took my brothers Titan to Adams Co. to an OLD fam farm to get some boards and doors off an old barn. The Titan is nice, but pulling the 2500 lb trailers and approx. 100 lbs of lumber (estimate) you could tell a HUGE difference.

If I had a choice it'd be Ecoboost all the way.

No shit but I'm not the one that's acting like Toyota has no problems. Roll your eyes on these Nutts?

Do you mean me? Not about the rolling my eyes on your nuts. I know that was for me - strange sexual preference, but that's just my opinion.

As I said before, they all have problems. Draw some eyes on my balls?

Anyone with a Tundra wanna hook chains? :D

Not sure what that'll prove. First, my fastass would have to drive the Tundra to equal yours in the Ford. ;) You'll need the exact same tire, as well and the same driving surface. Truthfully, I'm not sure you'd redneck out that much. :p

Disclaimer: I wish they'd put 6cyl turbos in everything. :fuckyeah:

Do you mean me? Not about the rolling my eyes on your nuts. I know that was for me - strange sexual preference, but that's just my opinion.

As I said before, they all have problems. Draw some eyes on my balls?:

No, that Rocky Toyota nutswinger

• Downvote 1