Scubadiving; recommendations?

TurboGoKart

Just got back from a week in the Dominican (Punta Cana). Did a few dives with the wife and I'm REALLY itching to get certified now. Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the few places in Columbus that certify (lol other than the downer of having to certify in Ohio)? Are any of the certifications better than another (PADI, SSI, etc)? Looking to achieve Open Water certified status initially. Thanks!

I've had my PADI certification for about 11 years now. Haven't been diving in a while but it doesn't expire. I am just short of my Rescue Diver cert, I highly suggest pursuing as many certs as you can after you get your Open Water status.

The places I got certified are A) closed or B) in the BVI so I've got nothing as far as recommendations.

EDIT: When you get certified and take vacations, look for places that have lots of wreck dives. IMO the most fun kind of diving, especially if you do it at night.

Central Ohio School of diving. Has been several years since getting my SSI cert there, but I liked all the workers and instructors. I did some advanced courses through aquatic adventures and really didn't care for the place honestly.

I've had my PADI certification for about 11 years now. Haven't been diving in a while but it doesn't expire. I am just short of my Rescue Diver cert, I highly suggest pursuing as many certs as you can after you get your Open Water status.

The places I got certified are A) closed or B) in the BVI so I've got nothing as far as recommendations.

EDIT: When you get certified and take vacations, look for places that have lots of wreck dives. IMO the most fun kind of diving, especially if you do it at night.

Good advice! Another good piece I've heard of so far is to talk to the certification place about going on excursions. Normally they've been doing it for a long time and have great places already set up that you can visit and dive from, and they would have answers to a lot of questions about the 'vacationing' part since they've been to said places so many times.