Engine Install / Swap ? Possible blown head gasket

Prodeje79

My nephew just got his license and his car started overheating and coolant would be dry right away. One opinion said it was a blown head gasket. The check engine codes showed many misfires too. That could be unrelated and need plugs/wires etc, but thought I would mention it.

2001 Chevy Malibu with ~150k

They all appear to have the same engine in that generation/year.

I started looking on car-part to see how much a used engine costs.

I found one nearby with 17k on it for $350.

Is this the best route? If not, what do you recommend?

If this is the best route, I need to find a reasonable installer. The vehicle is in Chillicothe where he lives, but I suppose we could tow it up to Columbus.

Who could do the install and how much?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Bummer, it was a typo. It has 116k miles.

what should we do?

Seems like a lot of money going into an engine that will likely have the same issue soon....

Update: The mechanic says it has a cracked head.

Edited by Prodeje79

Sounds like the lower intake gasket leaking.

If it's a V6. OP didn't specify what kind of engine we're dealing with. Weren't they offering them with Ecotecs in 2001 as well? But otherwise yeah I agree on the LIM gasket. THat gasket is a nasty bitch on the V6. I had the distinct DISpleasure of replacing one on an Oldsmobile Silhouette once.

No more GM cars for me :mad:

If it's a V6. OP didn't specify what kind of engine we're dealing with. Weren't they offering them with Ecotecs in 2001 as well? But otherwise yeah I agree on the LIM gasket. THat gasket is a nasty bitch on the V6. I had the distinct DISpleasure of replacing one on an Oldsmobile Silhouette once.

No more GM cars for me :mad:

car-part isn't prompting for alternate engines. This appears to be a 3.1L V6

Not sure why people just jump to conclusions, head gasket, new engine, why don't you have someone figure out what's actually wrong with it. Is there coolant in the oil? Is the coolant running out somewhere else? I would find it hard to justify going through the hassle of swapping the engine unless it's totally fucked.

Not sure why people just jump to conclusions, head gasket, new engine, why don't you have someone figure out what's actually wrong with it. Is there coolant in the oil? Is the coolant running out somewhere else? I would find it hard to justify going through the hassle of swapping the engine unless it's totally fucked.

Not sure I trust them, but 2 different mechanics said it is blown head gasket.

FWIW, I was able to test drive it to auto zone and back.

It started to get hot on the gauge but I made it back before into the red.

The lower intake manifold gasket will leak A LOT of coolant internally, and can easily be mistaken for blown head gasket symptoms.

Compression test can rule out a blown head gasket, usually. That's where I would start.

• Downvote 1

There is one in Westerville, 75k miles for $600....

at this point, does it start to make sense to find another car for $1000?

Yes!

Update: The mechanic says it has a cracked head.

Not impossible, but certainly not common on those. It is just a Malibu, drop that shit like a bad habit. Trust me when I say those old ones are shit.

Gonna get flamed for this, but on a car that cheap, go to advance and buy the $45 bottle of Bars radiator/ head gasket sealer . Use the the online code for 30% off. Run it through a few heat cycles, and it should seal up the head crack. Not out much if it doesn't work.

My forerunner before at idle:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/17/sepy7y6y.jpg

After a couple heat cycles, at idle:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/17/uza6ezuv.jpg

Probably 1,200 miles ago and no issues yet. I carry a couple jugs of water in the back. Hopefully it works for you!

I'm not a fan of "mechanic in a can", but on some beater that isn't worth throwing a bunch of money at then who cares. Try it if you want, just don't be surprised if it "seals" up some stuff that wasn't supposed to be sealed.

Find an older Mazda Protégé. The 1.8 engine in those are bulletproof. They're typically on the cheaper side of a Honda because Mazda's weren't as popular. Most Mazdas that weren't built by Ford are great cars.

I bought my Saturn SL1 for $2,000 in amazing condition. I'd look into those, single cam motors that really don't need much maintenance wise. You can find some good ones for your price range. I wouldn't buy an auto in these cars with that many miles though.

Those are all over Craigslist right now. It may need a little thing here or there but for the price you pay it's not a bad deal. As stated you can't go wrong with a Honda or Toyota. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

Find an older Mazda Protégé. The 1.8 engine in those are bulletproof. They're typically on the cheaper side of a Honda because Mazda's weren't as popular. Most Mazdas that weren't built by Ford are great cars.

So only look for the 1.8 and not 2.0?

What years? 1998-2003?

Manual trans only?

Looking on CL now. If you see a nice one please link me here.

The 2.0L is the same series of engine, and is just fine. Sorry I was thinking Miata when I said 1.8. If the fluid is clean in an auto car and shifts good I wouldn't worry too much about it, as they were decent too. Mazda recommended a trans fluid drain and fill every 30k iirc, and if that gets done the transmissions were not problematic. If someone has done the maintenance the cars rust away before the drivetrain has issues, and rust is easy to spot.