Can i ask for CPO?

mrs.cos

Can i ask for a dealership to CPO a car?

How do i use that request as a way to keep them from not bargaining with me when buying the car? I know the cost (at least at one dealership) was between 800 and 1000 to CPO the car we were intersted in.

SHould i work on a price and then tell them after we have agreed on a price that i want it CPO'd?

In some cases it can happen, in some it can't. Any car a dealer would REFUSE to CPO is likely down to 2 reasons: 1 is it won't pass inspection, and is therefore not worth buying and 2 would be that it could pass inspection but it'd require too much money for them to do. A big reason for this is tires, they're expensive and they have to be at a certain tread depth for CPO status. So if they straight up refuse to, it may just be because their profit margin is too thin to allow for it, which brings me to my next point.

Never withhold a desire/condition until the end of negotiations. You'll always have a better experience being up front and honest. Easiest way to buy a car at a price you want is to walk in (yes, BE THERE, as opposed to email. Especially with used cars) tell them EXACTLY what it takes to earn your business, and be willing to do business on the spot.

If they can do it they will. If they can't, they'll explain they can't and counteroffer. If you're not willing to budge, that's OK, thank them for their time and move along to the next hunk of metal.

In some cases, it really just comes down to the dealer not having any profit and CPO can reduce profitability.

In some cases it can happen, in some it can't. Any car a dealer would REFUSE to CPO is likely down to 2 reasons: 1 is it won't pass inspection, and is therefore not worth buying and 2 would be that it could pass inspection but it'd require too much money for them to do. A big reason for this is tires, they're expensive and they have to be at a certain tread depth for CPO status. So if they straight up refuse to, it may just be because their profit margin is too thin to allow for it, which brings me to my next point.

Never withhold a desire/condition until the end of negotiations. You'll always have a better experience being up front and honest. Easiest way to buy a car at a price you want is to walk in (yes, BE THERE, as opposed to email. Especially with used cars) tell them EXACTLY what it takes to earn your business, and be willing to do business on the spot.

If they can do it they will. If they can't, they'll explain they can't and counteroffer. If you're not willing to budge, that's OK, thank them for their time and move along to the next hunk of metal.

In some cases, it really just comes down to the dealer not having any profit and CPO can reduce profitability.

I couldn't of said it better myself. Just an FYI Audi cars take about $1800 total($200 check out +$1600 warranty) + anything the car needs to be "like new." A lot of the times it is the tires that can keep a cpo from going on the car like he said above, but it can also be paintwork on more then one panel, damage, or wreaks. I have had customer agree on the price of the car + what ever it takes to make it a CPO if they are going to keep it, but sometimes an aftermarket warranty is cheaper at that point. Just depends on where and who you want to service the car.