Fencing

IBAUCLAPlaya

Hi there,

My wife and I are building a house in Hilliard in Heritage Preserve, a new community on the west side of the city.

The house should be complete in the Oct/Nov timeframe, so we are beginning to research options for fencing our back yard. The lot is 0.50 acres and I've calculated that we will need about 425' of fencing to enclose the back yard. It looks like our HOA will be limiting us to 3-Rail Wood Split rail, and we will need to add chicken wire or something equivalent to keep in our dog.

So far, I've spoke with:

Ace Fence (fenceinstall.com) - I was quoted $8000 installed. Fence rails are hemlock and posts are locust.

Outdoor-FX (outdoor-fx.net) - I was quoted $7800 installed. He called it a wood 3 rail fence with pressure treated posts and mesh.

Discount fence supply (discountfence.com) - I was quoted $2000 for just materials delivered to my door. Posts are pine and rails are poplar. Wood is pre-treated with ACQ. Chicken wire or equivalent not included. I also talked to an independent contractor that discount fence recommended me to, and was quoted $5/ft to install which seemed fair, but I can't find any information on the guy at all which makes me nervous.

I'd welcome any and all feedback about anything mentioned above, as well as recommendations for other companies to talk to for the best product/service/pricing. In the end, I want to make sure I get a product that is as close to maintenance free as possible and for the best price.

I was looking to stay under $5k for this, especially given the materials quote above was $2k but I just don't know if this is realistic. I know installing myself is an option, but I don't have the time, tools, or expertise to do this right.

Thanks,

Matt

We had lannis do our fence. They were a little bit more than other companies but we've seen their work at previous houses and I've been impressed with it so we hired them that was over 10 years ago and last year when we noticed some of the boards were having issues they came out and inspected the entire fence and replaced a bunch of boards for free

I did my own and my dads which is the same type. 4' tall treated wood fence with 2 rails which are 2x6 and 4x6 posts, all corner posts are 6x6. Fencing material is 12 gauge welded wire farm fencing. It wasn't bad at all as far as install. I have approx. 800' and a 10' double farm gate. All posts are set in concrete.

I have about $4k in material.

Truckin,

Unfortunately I don't trust myself to do the install. Who did you use for your materials? Also, curious to hear why you set in concrete vs. gravel or soil? I've read that setting the entire post in concrete won't allow the wood to breathe which accelerates rotting. Also, how long did it take you and how many people did you have to help you?

Duffey,

I'll give Litchfield a call this afternoon! Thanks

Truckin,

Unfortunately I don't trust myself to do the install. Who did you use for your materials? Also, curious to hear why you set in concrete vs. gravel or soil? I've read that setting the entire post in concrete won't allow the wood to breathe which accelerates rotting. Also, how long did it take you and how many people did you have to help you?

I bought all my material from 84 Lumber in Lancaster, Anytime I set posts in the ground I've always used concrete, never had an issue, soil can erode as can gravel concrete isn't going anywhere. Not saying I'm right or wrong but how I've always done it. It took me about 2 days to set my posts (over 90 of them), stretching the fence didn't take long, I had 200' rolls and used a fence puller (a must). It was just myself and my FIL and my 3 y/o son :). All in all I had to take breaks cause of rain and it being too wet to do anything. but I had it up in a week if I count the days I was actually able to work on it.