Atlanta: Airline traffic in thunderstorms

zeitgeist57

Modern commercial airliners (Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, etc...) are built to withstand some pretty severe weather. However, it's still commonplace to avoid flying into thunderstorms as much as possible. This is pretty cool video evidence of this practice.

http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/watch-how-thunderstorms-affect-air-traffic-in-atlanta-1622352515/+orlove

"In a time of peace, there is no need to fly though a storm" -- former navy pilot

Once into Tennessee we "had" to go though a jet-black storm cloud ... it was -not- fun, old women were crying, someone didn't believe it and launched up and hit the overhead compartment (LOL)

Do you know why I pulled you over?

Um, no sir.

Doing donuts is illegal and considered reckless driving.

But the storms, sir. I must wait out the storm to reach my garage.

Hmm, I think it may work flying a plane (Storms.. yea, right. Those are obvious aerial donuts. :rolleyes: How many of them are flying out of New Amsterdam?) However, it did not work for the end of my cul-de-sac. :nono:

The organization that takes is ridiculous.

This day and age, I would think much of the actual organization is computerized with humans providing oversight. Still, you gotta watch your ass since a fuckup can cause an avalanche of problems.

On another but still topical subject:

I tried to look into flight controller jobs and the like some years ago and was shocked at what it takes to get one. FYI, I wasn't shocked by the mental requirements, but the ridiculous bullshit ones. The whole thing strikes me as being a "load". :mad: I couldn't understand why they have some of the requirements as they just didn't make any sense to me.

This day and age, I would think much of the actual organization is computerized with humans providing oversight. Still, you gotta watch your ass since a fuckup can cause an avalanche of problems.

On another but still topical subject:

I tried to look into flight controller jobs and the like some years ago and was shocked at what it takes to get one. FYI, I wasn't shocked by the mental requirements, but the ridiculous bullshit ones. The whole thing strikes me as being a "load". :mad: I couldn't understand why they have some of the requirements as they just didn't make any sense to me.

Actually no, there isn't much computer organization at all, it's up to the controller to make the sequence for arrivals. Especially on weather days when everyone is diverting around the weather it's pretty much a crap shoot.

It was pretty tough, but now with Obama's equal opportunity rules it's almost impossible (unless you are xxxx) until the Lawsuit gets more attention.. :fuuuu:

http://www.cticlassaction.com/

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1098118

Yeah thunderstorms are no joke. If you want to know what it's like inside one of these storms here's a story of a F-8 fighter pilot that had to eject into one. Needless to say he wouldn't recommend doing it.

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/ejects-into-thunderstorm/

I remember hearing that story when I was growing up...amazing to read it again after many years in such detail. I also remember similar stories from military flying in the '60s to the '80s of pilots ejecting in thunderstorms and not surviving.

I feel it's important to remember these stories, so you never lose respect for mother nature...whether you're PIC flying a plane or standing on the ground with a thunderstorm coming your way.