Need a mechanic to replace water pump. Thanks Jiffy Lube!

missmy5.0

Took my 2008 4runner to Jiffy Lube and they pointed out that my belt was starting to crack a little. No problem go ahead and replace I told them. So I don't make it more than 2 miles down the road and my truck is knocking, water pump spraying water.

Any suggestions of fellow CR members that can help? I would be able to drop the truck off this Tuesday and would need to pick it up the following Monday. Any help of suggestions is greatly appreciate. Also, any idea how much I'm looking at to get this fixed? Thanks!

I'm assuming that the serp belt came off which runs the water pump (I think on that engine), and the engine overheated. Then it started to knock? Hard to tell based on how you posted. If that's the case you're looking at a engine and so is jiffy lube.

Yes. Sorry was on my phone before and just wanted to get the word out and see if there was anyone who could help..

As driving back home it begins to squeal (assuming the new belt breaking) then a slight knocking. Water coming from water pump and antifreeze everywhere. They put the old belt back on (the one I came in with originally that was slightly cracked) and the truck seems to run ok. Drove it the 1 mile back to my home.

Any advice of someone that could help mechanically would be a huge help. I want to get a quote so I can start what I'm sure will be a huge ordeal trying to get the $ from Jiffy Lube. Thanks guys!

Unfortunately yes. Obviously I was refunded for belt and oil change and had a conversation with branch manager. Took pictures. Have a number at corporate to contact to get resolved once I figure out what exactly went wrong and what current condition is.

This truck has ran like a charm since I bought it., never an issue until this. 88k miles on it. I'm just looking for a good mechanic to take it to, just moved back to Columbus after 5 years in New York City. Thanks!

Honestly I wouldn't touch it, if they messed up causing the the failure I would be calling everyone I could to make them fix it at no charge. Also your insurance would probably cover a rental if needed and they will In turn bill the shop of indeed they caused the failure by putting the belt on wrong or used the incorrect belt. We have had a few people who sued them for engines when they double gasket oil filters and all the oil comes out. Again that's why you verify repairs.

It sounds like you are not sure what is wrong. Your story is very confusing as to diagnosing not who is at fault.

Putting a serpentine belt on would not cause the water pump to go bad. Wrong belt or not.

I'm on the east side and can check it out for you