How to catch a thief

Rocky31186

I live in Pickerington, has been a great quiet neighborhood. This year we have had some vandalism and attempted break in.

Typically thieves go to nice neighborhoods to steal. What some don't realize is how often this actually happens to your neighborhood without having cameras.

After a few issues this year I bought a camera system and installed it. So far in 6 months I've caught 4 people on camera trying to get into my truck.

Now I first bought a cheap harbor freight motion sensor that goes off all the time, so I don't use it now. It goes off when cars drive by.

I am in contact with a CPD officer and send him photos of the criminals so they can keep an eye out. But what I want is something to tell me when they are in my driveway. I want a better motion system.

Edited by Rocky31186

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want something at the bottom of the driveway that will alert me when something crosses it.

Sounds like you could set up a light gate at the bottom of the driveway and link it to lights or an audible alert. Not sure if there is anything off the shelf you can buy, but a few months ago a coworker was talking about one that would make a doorbell sound every time it was crossed. He had to stop using it because of animals though.

Sounds like you could set up a light gate at the bottom of the driveway and link it to lights or an audible alert. Not sure if there is anything off the shelf you can buy, but a few months ago a coworker was talking about one that would make a doorbell sound every time it was crossed. He had to stop using it because of animals though.

That's what I have now. Wireless driveway sensor. Door bell rings inside. But it picks up too much and wakes us up all the time.

I used a lorex setup years ago when I lived in OH. The motion sensetivity was able to be changed. I caught ALL kinds of shenanigans on there. Its didn't alert me when there was motion, that would drive me nuts, but It picked up all kind sof awesomeness. From some kids coming into my back yard looking for my dogs, after I had already told them not to go back there when I wasn't home. I am pretty sure that kid and his sister got their @$$'s whooped after I told their mom. Then another night I heard my dogs out back going nuts...I pull up the monitor and see some kid in my neighbor's back yard running from the cops and my dogs going nuts.

I also came home one day to see a boot mark on my back door and my kitchen window slightly cracked. Looked at the cameras and saw two kids that had tried breaking in.

I can't say I was disappointed with my setup at all.

Bright motion lights? I assume you are parked right in front of a garage door...You'd think the sucker would get outta there if a light came on... I doubt theyd want to go further if they were lit up like a high school football game.

I do have bright motion lights on my garage but it doesn't always deter them

I used a lorex setup years ago when I lived in OH. The motion sensetivity was able to be changed. I caught ALL kinds of shenanigans on there. Its didn't alert me when there was motion, that would drive me nuts, but It picked up all kind sof awesomeness. From some kids coming into my back yard looking for my dogs, after I had already told them not to go back there when I wasn't home. I am pretty sure that kid and his sister got their @$$'s whooped after I told their mom. Then another night I heard my dogs out back going nuts...I pull up the monitor and see some kid in my neighbor's back yard running from the cops and my dogs going nuts.

I also came home one day to see a boot mark on my back door and my kitchen window slightly cracked. Looked at the cameras and saw two kids that had tried breaking in.

I can't say I was disappointed with my setup at all.

I have the QSEE brand surveillance set up that was not cheap. I am happy with it

Correct that's why I'm so mad. I want whatever it takes to catch these guys.

tape an x-acto blade on the inside of your door handle so anyone "testing" the locked-ness of your truck gets a nasty surprise*

*don't do this because you will be sued into oblivion

Correct that's why I'm so mad. I want whatever it takes to catch these guys.

activated older generation iPhone connected to the cloud with the app that takes a front facing pic and sends GPS coords to the cloud everytime someone unsucessfully tries to unlock it. leave it slightly hidden in the front of the truck with the door unlocked.

activated older generation iPhone connected to the cloud with the app that takes a front facing pic and sends GPS coords to the cloud everytime someone unsucessfully tries to unlock it. leave it slightly hidden in the front of the truck with the door unlocked.

Could still result in a broken window; I had POS project car a long time ago that had no door locks and the trunk was zip-tied shut (sound familiar Jones?) and someone still broke the pass side window to get at lord knows what, since there was nothing valuable in it.

people are fucking idiots.

I would love to catch one of these turds in the act. Take them into my basement at gun point. Tie them up. Then go to town with a blowtorch and some pliers.

you sound like a hard, pipe hittin homie.... like you would get medeval on their ass.