2004 Acura TL issues

BStowers023

So my TL has been having some recent issues. The car has 118k miles.

Issues

-Idles rough but only in drive (sputters). Idles around 600-700 RPMs when normal is roughly 1k

-ticking noise coming from head area.

-Codes show misfire to all cylinders and random misfire.

I was told this could be bad gas, But I dont think so .Could this be a valve issue? Possibly a valve adjustment may be needed? I don't think it's a spark issue since all of the coils andplugs are independent to 1 cylinder.

Just looking to get some input before I take it to get an obnoxiously expensive diagnosis.

Agreed, which head is this ticking noise coming from? I am assuming it is a 3.2, I've seen a couple of them have a spark plug back out of the head and tear the coil and plug itself up. Unplug each coil and see which one makes the least difference in how the car runs.

1 bad coil could cause random misfire codes. I would check those first since they are they easiest.

This is exactly what happened to my TL as well.

Had one bad coil which made the whole car shake and run pretty rough. Clear the codes and found that 3 cylinders consistently came up with random misfires. Started swapping coils among cylinders to try and isolate the bad one. Got it down to two cylinders after some swapping, bought one coil replaced the one I believed was bad. Fixed.

So it could be a spark issue even though each plug and coil are independent to one cylinder? This would cause a misfire to all cylinders if just one was bad?

Yep, had the same issue with my CL at one point and got misfire codes (among others) to multiple cylinders.. Pulled plug off each coil pack until I found the one that had no effect and replaced.