reinstalling an "upgraded" windows 7?

mrs.cos

Heyo... So my hard drive died, and i upgraded to the samsung pro 850SSD but i have small problem.. I have no flippity clue where my windowsXP install disks are and all i have is my windows 7 upgrade cd..

Im gobsmacked right now- do i need to rebuy windows 7?? (its not OEM) Do I really need to go back and find my windows XP disk (it could be ins storage) to reinstall this?

It's a huge pain in the ass, but it can be done while retaining your legal license status AS LONG AS you have a valid XP key.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/clean-install-of-windows-7-from-a-windows-7/9d57b9f2-bf9b-4244-8fdf-edd777ba4489

Easy peasy. Will write it up when I get to work.

Here goes:

Download and burn the appropriate ISO of windows 7 and burn it to a dvd. You can find it here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ To the best of my knowledge this isnt illegal.

If the retail copy of windows does not accept the windows 7 upgrade key, you can download an XP iso here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=25129 (this image is for XP pro)

If you are unfamiliar with burning images to a disk, download and install imgburn. Read through the installation window carefully as it tries to get you to install several other pieces of software that you c̶a̶n̶ should opt out of.

Worst case, Torrent an XP disk. I doubt anyone gives a shit about XP anymore.

IF all of this is too much to take in, id be glad to make you some disks and mail them to you or you can come pick them up.

Edited by jeffro

I have a windows7 disk. But it's an upgrade. But it won't let me use the key because I didn't "upgrade" I just installed it - I've been running on this install since like 2008- I don't recall dealing with shit last time I got a new hard drive.

I have a legit version of windows XP as well but I'm sure it's buried in storage somewhere. :-/

I guess I'll just go download XP.. How annoying..

I tried the registry hack- that didn't work, so I'm going to try the double install trick today to upgrade my windows 7 to.. Windows 7.

I have a windows7 disk. But it's an upgrade. But it won't let me use the key because I didn't "upgrade" I just installed it - I've been running on this install since like 2008- I don't recall dealing with shit last time I got a new hard drive.

I have a legit version of windows XP as well but I'm sure it's buried in storage somewhere. :-/

I guess I'll just go download XP.. How annoying..

I tried the registry hack- that didn't work, so I'm going to try the double install trick today to upgrade my windows 7 to.. Windows 7.

The first link in the post above were to retail windows 7 disks. The upgrade key might work with the retail disk and will eliminate the need to do the upgrade.