Home Made Beef Jerky

jeffro

Any Beef jerky makers on here? Its about that time of year when the buy one get one roasts go on sale at Kroger. I recently heard that Kroger will Slice them for you if you ask.

Whats CR's method/recipe?

Heres mine: I like it spicy.

Freeze roast for 1 hour then cut thinly (approx 3/16" thick)

Throw some soy sauce, Worcestershire, water, crushed red pepper, garlic, pepper, and some liquid smoke to taste into a gallon bag along with the sliced roast. Let it marinade in the fridge overnight. Since i dont have a dehydrator at the moment i just let it hang dry in the oven for about 5 hours at the lowest setting.

Nom Nom Nom

Edited by jeffro

I make jerky all the time.

Things to have:

some good spices/cure

good dehydrator with extra trays (not a humidifier like you said above. lol tater moment detected)

A jerky shooter gun w/ multiple attachments (makes preparing jerky on the trays ez pz)

I normally do 1-2 lbs at a time.

Steps I made up to use:

1) Mix up ground venison/beef/turkey/ etc. that i'm making into a bowl with the cure/ seasoning of my choice. get it all mixed up n good.

2) Then make small balls in order to fill up the jerky shooter tube then pick attachment and start laying down the jerky on the trays. I like to use the good ol' flat jerky attachments (like how jack links is n what not)

3) instead just making 1 line at a time I run lines continuous lines around the whole circular tray kinda like a bulls eye . This way you get more meat on the trays then I cut them to whatever size I want them to be after they are done dehydrated.

4) after the trays are all filled with jerky I let it dehydrate for 4-6 hrs depending on how dry I want them to be while shuffling up the trays every hour.

After it's all done I pat all the jerky down with paper towels, cut them to the length I want and enjoy/store in fridge for later nom nom times.

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

American Harvest sells a pepperoni spice kit that is pretty good.

Other mix that I do with 4-5lb of venison"

Eastman Outdoor hickory flavor kit (gives smokey flavor and cure)

Add 10 turns on sea salt grinder

Add 10 turns on black pepper grinder

Add table spoon or two of cayenne pepper

Things to have:

some good spices/cure

good dehydrator with extra trays (not a humidifier like you said above. lol tater moment detected)

A jerky shooter gun w/ multiple attachments (makes preparing jerky on the trays ez pz)

Steps I made up to use:

1) Mix up ground venison/beef/turkey/ etc. that i'm making into a bowl with the cure/ seasoning of my choice. get it all mixed up n good.

2) Then make small balls in order to fill up the jerky shooter tube then pick attachment and start laying down the jerky on the trays. I like to use the good ol' flat jerky attachments (like how jack links is n what not)

3) instead just making 1 line at a time I run lines continuous lines around the whole circular tray kinda like a bulls eye . This way you get more meat on the trays then I cut them to whatever size I want them to be after they are done dehydrated.

4) after the trays are all filled with jerky I let it dehydrate for 4-6 hrs depending on how dry I want them to be while shuffling up the trays every hour.

After it's all done I pat all the jerky down with paper towels, cut them to the length I want and enjoy/store in fridge for later nom nom times.

Yeah thats what i mean, a dehydrator. My sister has one that she has never used that she said i could use.

I have never considered making it out of ground meat. Seems like it would be soft and more of a link than jerky.

Yeah thats what i mean, a dehydrator. My sister has one that she has never used that she said i could use.

I have never considered making it out of ground meat. Seems like it would be soft and more of a link than jerky.

I've used lean ground beef from the store many times. Comes out great. Get that dehydrator off your sis and try whipping up a batch this weekend.

I use flank steak, and add some honey to your mix, but close enough. If you're dehydrator-poor like me just get a couple cheapo furnace filters, strap to boxfan with jerky in between, and leave on a day. Bonus- your house smells like awesome.

Thanks Alton Brown.

I use flank steak, and add some honey to your mix, but close enough. If you're dehydrator-poor like me just get a couple cheapo furnace filters, strap to boxfan with jerky in between, and leave on a day. Bonus- your house smells like awesome.

Thanks Alton Brown.

You mean like this? Sorry for huge pics, nothing i can do about it.

http://i.imgur.com/OwUZaVb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7FNbtdQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lIqnV2o.jpg

Things to have:

some good spices/cure

Steps I made up to use:

If you are using cure, and not making snack sticks with casings, why do you immediately put it in the dehydrator? I've always let mine cure for at least 24 hours.

Picked up that dehydrator from my sister and well, it leaves much to be desired. Its one of the fanless variations with the heating element at the bottom. It was still in the box so thats nice i guess.

I have wired up a computer case fan to a variable voltage DC power adapter. Going to put it on top to help draw the moisture out. From what i'm hearing it takes 24+ hours to do it with this dehydrator, but aint nobody got time fo dat. Hoping the fan can speed things up a bit.

Picked up that dehydrator from my sister and well, it leaves much to be desired. Its one of the fanless variations with the heating element at the bottom. It was still in the box so thats nice i guess.

I have wired up a computer case fan to a variable voltage DC power adapter. Going to put it on top to help draw the moisture out. From what i'm hearing it takes 24+ hours to do it with this dehydrator, but aint nobody got time fo dat. Hoping the fan can speed things up a bit.

lol straight up poverty model. Go buy one from walmart/cabelas. a decent starter one will be like $30-40 with a fan.

This is what i use to make jerky all the time, or one similar. A round one with stackable trays, a fan and a good heating element.

My favorite "Flavor" ive ever made was with BW's Spicy Garlic sauce, and then letting it marinate for 24 hours then dehydrating it. Sooo FKN good!!! I generally use a 5lb roast and it gives 1-2lbs of jerky.

So, with the fan deal, and the filters... I suppose the filters are a one time use... and how do you keep the fibers off the meat as it dries? Not sure I'd be wanting to ingest whatever they are using as media in the air filter....

Yeah i wouldnt do it that way.... seems like it wouldnt have the heat and the filter would get all over it.

A good tip also, slightly freeze the meat so when your cutting it its easier and doesnt feel smushy and it makes it easier to cut strips. I make my jerky out of a roast generally, or a good meat. (Never used ground beef or cheap stuff...)

Rustlestiltskin

If you dehydrate ground beef does it make it more like a slim jim or what? Also what is a jerky gun???

I made a bunch just using the oven on the lowest setting. I forget the time per lb. but it worked well. I stopped making it because for all we made and ate, we ended up giving a bunch away. If you prefer to make your own flavors and experiment it's fun but just to save money it isn't worth it IMHO.

Rustlestiltskin

If you dehydrate ground beef does it make it more like a slim jim or what? Also what is a jerky gun???

Yes it is more like a slim jim. but can make flat sticks instead of round ones.

A jerky gun looks like a caulking gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-American-Harvest-Jumbo/dp/B001795P3K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416531092&sr=8-3&keywords=jerky+gun

So, with the fan deal, and the filters... I suppose the filters are a one time use... and how do you keep the fibers off the meat as it dries? Not sure I'd be wanting to ingest whatever they are using as media in the air filter....

Never had a problem with fibers sticking to the meat suppose it depends on what kind of filters you buy. Not sure I'd use them more than once, but it's your call.

I've made at least 3 batches maybe 6 lbs? that way, never had any problems. A lot of the dehydrators have heating elements, which is NOT what you want.

I'm not expert, but I thought the point of curing meat was to NOT apply heat to cook it?

I'm not expert, but I thought the point of curing meat was to NOT apply heat to cook it?

It doesnt cook the meat it only warms it up, most dehydrators dont go above 120-150 i believe. I know mine doesnt get more than a "Warm Air" or so. It doesnt cook the meat, just helps dry it out.