Do you ever feel like Law enforcement in this state.....

Geeto67

...goes a little too far out of their way to write speeding tickets?

I get that short of entrapment they can set up their speed traps any way they want so long as they work within the constraints of their equipment (dead on shot, unobstructed view). But, driving to Ikea this weekend I saw some "speed traps" that I have never seen before. For example:

- Playing both sides: In one county the troopers car would be parked on the median facing one direction of traffic. But the officers would be using radar guns for both direction, with one officer in the front seat shooting out the open passenger front window, while his partner sits in the back seat shooting out the driver's side rear window.

- Fake pullover/accident/abandoned scene: I don't know that the officers set up the disabled car, I think they just cruise along till they see a car sitting on either the left or right side of the road, and then one officer sets up behind the disabled car with his lights on, while a second officer parks in front of the disabled vehicle so he is really out of line of sight for a passing motorist and then exits his vehicle to shoot radar, sometimes even using the roof of the disabled car to steady the LIDAR gun. I've seen this more than a couple of times and in one instance I saw the trooper park his vehicle behind some bushes and then walk 10 feet to an abandoned car and set up on the side furthest from the roadway.

- Thinking thin: I see this during the summer on 270 but this road trip reminded me of it. Usually where there is a break in the left side concrete barrier two motor officers (bike cops) will park in the break and then the first officer will kneel next to his bike with the LIDAR gun while the second officer will stand behind the first shooting LIDAR over the first's shoulder (often using the first officer as a steady (which to me is dubious since any movement can lead to inaccurate readings).

So I know Ohio is know as the country's largest speed trap (it's even a joke written in all the cannonball run movies) and as a state we write more speeding tickets than anybody, but I really have never seen these tactics outside of Ohio. Even in states where speeding is an offense punishable by jail (I'm looking at you VA) you don't see officers going this far to yell "gotcha". I don't think anything they do is generally illegal (some of these practices might be suspect on an individual case), but kinda makes me feel like the state and local governments just see every motorist as a rolling wallet.

Anybody else feel the same?

The problem I see with the bike cops is when they tag cars they point and wave the car to pull over, presumably so they don't have to get on their bike and actually chase the car down. It's VERY hard to see who they are pointing at. I have been near cars that get waved over and can't tell if they were pointing at me.

Otherwise I must not drive enough to see the other issues you mention.

Tint/front plates on the otherhand...

Don't want a ticket?

Don't speed!

It's really that simple. I know it's hard to believe.

If the .gov REALLY didn't want people to speed, they'd make it punishable by death. BAM no repeat offenders, ever. They want you to speed, they just want to be able to collect some revenue from a few people erry now and then.

If the .gov REALLY didn't want people to speed, they'd make it punishable by death. BAM no repeat offenders, ever. They want you to speed, they just want to be able to collect some revenue from a few people erry now and then.

If you don't feel enlightened by this then you never will.

You are implying that speeding is an offense worthy of capital punishment. I thought my morals were fucked up...

I must be getting old, but speeding is way over-rated. I still do every now and then, but I'm not out to speed like before. But yes, I agreed with you, Ohio as a state is insane on speed enforcement.

I once drove from Boston to columbus. From Boston to youngtown I saw one speed trap in Connecticut. I crossed into Ohio right around midnight, guess how many speed trap I saw from youngtown to Columbus? Fucking fourteen speed traps, unfuckingbelievable.

What is this "speeding" you speak of? I have my self-driving Audi set on auto-cruise: it knows the speed limit of the road I'm on, and automatically drives at that limit unless constrained by traffic in front of it. Also, automatically slows down and brakes for stop signs and traffic lights...

TEH FUTURE...IT'S COMMING!!1!1

So, you drove for nearly two hours just to go to IKEA, hmm?

yes I did. My wife really likes Ikea. I just like to drive. It's a win for all.

I don't speed so this point really isn't whether speeding is a crime or not or whether we should be able to break the law. The point is overzealous enforcement and the path over-zealousness leads to - and what is considered common practices nation wide vs what is going above and beyond.

Speeding is not a "mens rea" crime, you don't have to know you are committing it to be found guilty of committing it. State of mind makes no difference so all those people who say "just don't speed" presume that you know you are speeding. Considering how inaccurate most cars speedometers are delivered and also that speeding is not an interpretive action with no threshold (if the limit is 65, at 66 you are breaking the law) it is easy to believe you are not speeding and still be committing the crime.

Looking for a philosophical debate on law enforcement practices, not for a bunch of law enforcement fanboys to spew more "if you can't do the time don't do the crime" flawed jingoistic rhetoric. I refuse to believe police officers are infallible and any time you have "something sneaky" going on there is always the potential to take it too far. This feels like something sneaky.

Swing through the East Coast sometime. New Jersey and Rhode Island are just as bad if not worse. Police will hide behind cars, signs, barriers, etc.

Having grown up in NYC and driven in Jersey a lot I am intimately familiar with their tactics including tailgating with undercover cars, speed matching, hiding behind objects (which ohio cops do as well). I still think Ohio takes the cake for both creativity and zealotry.

Another thing I noticed was the sudden shifts in speed limit on major highways - it would be 65 for one county drop to 55 for another and then up to 70 in the next. Some of the 55mph zones (there were only 2 I spotted but could be more) only had 1 sign between the 65 and 70 signs of the adjoining counties. that also means going the other way it drops from 70 to 55 then to 65. There was always an officer in the 55mph zone.

• Upvote 1

Another thing I noticed was the sudden shifts in speed limit on major highways - it would be 65 for one county drop to 55 for another and then up to 70 in the next. Some of the 55mph zones (there were only 2 I spotted but could be more) only had 1 sign between the 65 and 70 signs of the adjoining counties. that also means going the other way it drops from 70 to 55 then to 65. There was always an officer in the 55mph zone.

The police don't control the speed limits. They just enforce them.

You can call them traps, hiding, whatever you want. Point is, people will continue to speed no matter what so they will always be out gladly enforcing it.

If people stopped speeding so much, the amount of effort spent enforcing it would drop. Pretty simple really.

Having grown up in NYC and driven in Jersey a lot I am intimately familiar with their tactics including tailgating with undercover cars, speed matching, hiding behind objects (which ohio cops do as well). I still think Ohio takes the cake for both creativity and zealotry.

Have you been to Texas?

All of that you mentioned is serious down here. ESPECIALLY the crazy speed limit shifts. on 59, you can go from 70 to 45 in 300 yards. Be like, "Wut."

Have you been to Texas?

All of that you mentioned is serious down here. ESPECIALLY the crazy speed limit shifts. on 59, you can go from 70 to 45 in 300 yards. Be like, "Wut."

Wife is a Texan so I have been to Dallas, Austin, and Houston and driven between them sometimes.

Yeah the shifts are more extreme there in some cases, and Florida. I don't think I have ever seen a cop kneeling in the back seat of a cruiser with a LIDAR gun in either of those states. They could be doing it, I just don't see it.

Kerry, I appreciate your thoughts but I will disagree: from college in PA (4 years), high school in Niskayuna, NY (3+ years), summers in Long Island (all my life), 3 years in FL - - - all while being a total d*ck on the road and never obeying a speed limit EVAR - - - I can tell you I've gotten speeding tickets everywhere. I pull them out, and I've seen it all.

From hidden bike cops to Hotel Papa (Highway Patrol airplanes), I've been tagged. If you think OH sucks, try driving I-75 through KY, TN, GA, FL: I only got tagged doing 84 in a 70 one time because the minivan pacing next to me blocked me from getting over, and Roscoe P. Coltrane decided to nab the BMW 3-series 'vert instead of the Windstar doing 85+mph.

My FiL got nabbed this past March by a speeding camera in Scottsdale, AZ. I was in the car with him (non-profit board meeting we were both attending at Troon). Plus, I got off with a warning by a cop during the same 3-day trip. FiL got the letter w/ pic of him speeding thru the camera a few days after we got home.

So far, the only thing I haven't been nabbed by is a paddy wagon, and a mountie.

If you're a speeder, it sucks everywhere.

Truth.