My Introduction

ShowHBK

Hello all, My name is Mike and I am a regular at CC&C. I was referred here by Clay and Wes and I look forward to meeting new people on the forum and learning more about your cars and your passion behind them.

My Car: 2006 Mazda RX-8 Shinka Edition (#1148 - 1500)

My Story: I just recently caught the bug and have learned a lot about cars in the past few years when I was going through College. When I was younger a had a lot of toy cars that I played with but my favorite was a little Mazda 787B and an RX-7. Being so young I had no idea what a Rotary engine was and years later read a few books on the engine to educate myself (I only liked the cars for their paint colors at the time). After all this I really just wanted to buy a Rotary powered car and received a lot of (negative) feedback from friends on reasons why I should never buy a car with that engine. for my own personal reasons I decided to pursue my dream and purchased a 2006 Mazda RX-8 in the summer of 2012 and have been loving her ever since. My car has has its ups and downs but I am learning a lot about my car and have been getting into different Mazda and Rotary communities. I am excited to join this community and discuss cars with other car lovers and learn more about other peoples rides and their passion for their cars as well.

Also, Pics... Had to do links because they are quite large

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-u8kR9aSW5fc/VIXbOTNw78I/AAAAAAAABiA/JkLivnOMa-s/w1834-h1376-no/2014-05-08%2B19.52.53.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pXweulS5MGk/VIXbOQLrBAI/AAAAAAAABh8/U5laNoIGl5U/w1834-h1376-no/2014-05-08%2B19.52.28.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_iR8kjndE8U/VIXbOV5YVOI/AAAAAAAABh4/rXi4Zt94g1c/w1834-h1376-no/2014-05-08%2B19.52.03.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BHmhwn5mtLQ/VC1np2h4PsI/AAAAAAAAAi4/AeIFz9xMJAQ/w778-h1376-no/IMAG0050.jpg

• Upvote 2

Welcome. Pretty good intro. See if you can post the pics, vs just link them. Not a huge deal though.

The rotary is not for everyone. This thread is about 5 posts from a "When are you going to LS swap" comment. CR has both sides covered with the love and the hate. There are a few members with redonkulis rotary power and looks, and then there are just your average Joe's, like me.

Follow your passion, and again, welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

No LS swap in my future, but you can mark my words "I will do a 3 or 4 Rotor someday!"

I will be sure to scale my pictures down in the future and post them directly as opposed to links, Sorry about that one.

I am excited to learn more about everyone's ride and I will try and keep my apex seals safe =P

Welcome. I have 2 questions:

1. What's different with the Shinka edition? I have a buddy with one, but didn't realize they were that limited.

2. Any plans for a small block Chrysler swap?

1. A Shinka edition is a special version of the car which only ran in 2005 and 2006. the 2005 version was limited to ~1300 vehicles and only came in black cherry. The 2006 versions were limited to 1500 vehicles and were available in cooper red, but could be ordered in other colors if the buyer wanted. The main difference in a Shinka edition hardware wise is the leather interior, leather wrapped steering wheel and parking break, heated seats, polyurethane suspension, higher powered engine, and a few other goodies. All of these could be ordered on other models but none included the "Shinka Badge" on the rear door's pillar. You always want to watch out for fakes though, people can buy Shinka badges online and tend to slap them on non Shinka vehicles to up their value. Always run the VIN# to check if it is a true Shinka.

2. No plans at this point to do a Chrysler swap. I am saving my money for a 3 or 4 Rotor someday.

Edited by ShowHBK
typo

Welcome, if you want to stay with a rotary, I would look at REW swapping it. The seals are a little bigger than the Renesis seals (plus turbos...). Otherwise, nice looking ride.

Interesting, how would I go about doing that? is that something I could do myself? or will I need to take that into a shop to have it done? What will the REW swap do performance wise?

Interesting, how would I go about doing that? is that something I could do myself? or will I need to take that into a shop to have it done? What will the REW swap do performance wise?

REW is the FD motor. There are plenty of swap kits out there to do it. If you can change a motor, I would say you could do the swap. The hard part may be the wiring. AFAIK the apex seals on the Renisis motor are shallower therefore weaker and have more issues. Plus as I said before, the REW (if you get the entire dropout) comes with turbos (or a turbo if someone has done some work to the motor). There are others on here who could give you way more insight than I can, I have pretty limited knowledge on the rotary (I know enough to get around one), as I am a swapper myself. :)