2014 Ford Focus ST

Sledhead36

I was shocked at this, too. And this seems to be the norm. VW = underrated. As for the Ford, I wouldn't be surprised if it was rated on the dot or even overrated given their penchant for exaggeration in certain areas. notroll

I still like the Ford's STs and I'm looking forward to seeing the RS. I imagine it will get the 2.3 as the rumors persist.

Focus ST:

252hp

270tq

14.6@95.9mph (Motor Trend)

14.7@96.5mph (Motor Trend)

14.8@95mph (C&D)

MK6 GTI

200hp

207tq

14.5@97.1 (Motor Trend)

14.7@96mph (C&D)

14.8@96mph (C&D)

Because people buy both cars for the 1/4 mile times :rolleyes:

In the C&D comparison, they ended up putting the FoST in first ahead of the MK6 GTI. MK7 beats the FoST in a later test.

Road & Track seemed to think the FoST was quite a bit better performer than the MK6 and the MS3. GTI Slalom was done at 64.9mph avg, FoST slalom averaged 65.8 mph.

In R&T and MT tests, FoST pulled .96g and .97g respectively on the skidpad. MK6 pulled .90g for R&T, and MK7 did .96g for MT.

Oh and the 14.6 sec 1/4 mile MT did for the Focus? Same test they got 15.0 from the MK6.

EDIT: @imurobgyn, Focus definitely overrated the HP numbers, but significantly underrated torque. RallySportDirect dynoed theirs straight from factory and got something like 290lbft at the wheels. Obviously just one car of many, but it indicated quite a jump from the rating of 270.

End of they day I've driven both extensively and feel the Focus is a more fun car to drive.

LOL, easy sensitive pants. Typical reply to a conversation like this. Completely disregarding the actual topic at hand.

I was only talking about straight line performance, as shown here:

If it's anything like the ST, it'll under perform for its on paper hp/tq. ;)

And I threw out some 14.9s for the Focus ST as well. I tried to get numbers that were indicative of the average, which they are.

All I said was that it under performs based on its hp/tq ratings, and it does. Similar weights, and it takes 52hp and 63tq to match (barely?) the MK6 GTI.

Because people buy both cars for the 1/4 mile times :rolleyes:

In the C&D comparison, they ended up putting the FoST in first ahead of the MK6 GTI MK7 beats the FoST in a later test.

Road & Track seemed to think the FoST was quite a bit better performer than the MK6 and the MS3. GTI Slalom was done at 64.9mph avg, FoST slalom averaged 65.8 mph.

In R&T and MT tests, FoST pulled .96g and .97g respectively on the skidpad. MK6 pulled .90g for R&T, and MK7 did .96g for MT.

Oh and the 14.6 sec 1/4 mile MT did for the Focus? Same test they got 15.0 from the MK6.

If you want to talk about handling, sure, I'll give that to the ST, absolutely. I don't have a problem admitting a car's faults.

One thing to think about, when analyzing the VW products, is they are on All Season tires. This is going to kill braking figures, handling figures, and potential "sharpness" of the cars. VW chose to do this (on the R too, amazingly) and their results are poor because of it.

PS: You Mad.

LOL, easy sensitive pants. Typical reply to a conversation like this. Completely disregarding the actual topic at hand.

I was only talking about straight line performance, as shown here:

And I threw out some 14.9s for the Focus ST as well. I tried to get numbers that were indicative of the average, which they are.

All I said was that it under performs based on its hp/tq ratings, and it does. Similar weights, and it takes 52hp and 63tq to match (barely?) the MK6 GTI.

If you want to talk about handling, sure, I'll give that to the ST, absolutely. I don't have a problem admitting a car's faults.

One thing to think about, when analyzing the VW products, is they are on All Season tires. This is going to kill braking figures, handling figures, and potential "sharpness" of the cars. VW chose to do this (on the R too, amazingly) and their results are poor because of it.

PS: You Mad.

I ain't mad I just had a lot of time during our annual sales meeting :lolguy:

Focus ST comes with some of the best/worst tires I've ever driven on. Got 20k out of them driving normally, and they were useless in the rain. Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2.

VW wised up and started offering summer tires as an option again like on the early MK5 cars. And wouldn't you know it, their numbers are pretty impressive again. (not claiming MK7 isn't great, but summer tires, even bad ones, are so much better than A/S)

VW wised up and started offering summer tires as an option again like on the early MK5 cars. And wouldn't you know it, their numbers are pretty impressive again. (not claiming MK7 isn't great, but summer tires, even bad ones, are so much better than A/S)

I prefer those summer A/S tires with 300TW rating. It's like the best of both worlds amirite? :gabe: