Interesting Mazda Concept

ShowHBK

Found this and thought it was interesting. The Concept was only made digitally for the PS3 game Gran Turismo and is a modern day interpretation of the 1991 Le Mans 787B with the new Mazda "Kodo" design theme. Just think if this thing was real?

Link the the original Article (WITH VIDEO)

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-lm55-vision-gran-turismo-is-a-digital-furai-for-the-modern-world-w-video-2/

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/mazda-lm55-vision-gran-turismo_100494871_l.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/mazda-lm55-vision-gran-turismo_100494881_l.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/mazda-lm55-vision-gran-turismo_100494877_l.jpg

I think it would be cool if they actually made something like this, but would they be able to use the rotary in the races this kind of car is setup for?

No. After Mazda won LeMans the rules were changed that made the rotary not competitive as an engine choice. Also, endurance racing like LeMans has evolved into a nearly 24hr sprint race and fuel mileage is important which would further hamper a rotary effort.

Chris - Agreed . If you look at the side view I see a bit of the Furai (Charcoal now). Plus the SkyActive stuff has always been pistons (On the rear spoiler).

I would much rather see this be built with one of Logan's (Carswell) three rotor setups. He builds a pretty wicked wankle engine.

Wish I still had mine (the S54 is a good motor, but miss the turbo'ed rotary)

Chris - Agreed . If you look at the side view I see a bit of the Furai (Charcoal now). Plus the SkyActive stuff has always been pistons (On the rear spoiler).

I would much rather see this be built with one of Logan's (Carswell) three rotor setups. He builds a pretty wicked wankle engine.

Wish I still had mine (the S54 is a good motor, but miss the turbo'ed rotary)

Correct me if im wrong, But I believe the x16 Rotary engine which was set to surpass the Renisis was developed with SkyActive which would make this a possible x16 4 Rotor SkyActive vehicle.

Cool concept. They are going all in with their skyactiv diesel for the TUDOR series so unless something changes don't expect a rotary anytime soon.

Makes me sad because the x16 rotary looked like it would make the damn thing a much better engine in every possible way. I would have loved to see an RX-9 with an optional x16 three rotor in 2017, but hey... a guy can dream? right?

Correct me if im wrong, But I believe the x16 Rotary engine which was set to surpass the Renisis was developed with SkyActive which would make this a possible x16 4 Rotor SkyActive vehicle.

Makes me sad because the x16 rotary looked like it would make the damn thing a much better engine in every possible way. I would have loved to see an RX-9 with an optional x16 three rotor in 2017, but hey... a guy can dream? right?

This guy, he gets it. Every time someone brings up Mazda building a new rotary powered car on the RX-7 fb page, they always say there is a new RX-7 coming out. :dumb:

This guy, he gets it. Every time someone brings up Mazda building a new rotary powered car on the RX-7 fb page, they always say there is a new RX-7 coming out. :dumb:

If I am being a realist here... I honestly think a new rotary would do more harm to Mazda than good. They have a steady line of good cars that are making them money right now and the SkyActive thing seems to be working out in their favor. Life is comfortable for Mazda and they are doing well enough to invest their money elsewhere in my opinion.

If I am being a realist here... I honestly think a new rotary would do more harm to Mazda than good. They have a steady line of good cars that are making them money right now and the SkyActive thing seems to be working out in their favor. Life is comfortable for Mazda and they are doing well enough to invest their money elsewhere in my opinion.

I don't believe they will be building another rotary for a while, but I do not believe that the rotary is permanently dead. I just think they do not have the room in the line up right now for a niche market.

I don't believe they will be building another rotary for a while, but I do not believe that the rotary is permanently dead. I just think they do not have the room in the line up right now for a niche market.

I bet the rotary is dead in cars. With GDI offering safe high compression, and other improvements - piston engines have caught up to the compactness to power ratio, and that was pretty much the only advantage rotary engines had. And I say this as having been a rotard fanboy. Also hybrid and electrics will continue to advance (though it will be slower as gas prices remain low).