ISO medical field opportunity

Big A

My wife has been back in school working toward an LPN than possibly go on to RN. She currently has an associates from CSCC in business. She has taken several classes that are in the program and is getting ready to apply for the the LPN program. She is looking for something entry level to get into the medical field. She has been in an office job the past 4+ years and is looking for a change. If anyone has any advice or leads that would be greatly appreciated.

Just a Heads up.....an LPN is about worthless these days(its not worthless, but very low paying in comparison).....Now most medical facilities paying anything want an RN and will require them to be working towards a masters degree too....Sorry I don't have any helpful info, just passing on some real world info.

What kind of nursing does she want to get into? What ever that is start applying for aid positions in her field of interest. If she's not set on anything i'd encourage her to start perusing the major hospital want ads (OSU, Children's, Ohiohealth & Mount Carmel) and get an aid job on a floor. If she has her STNA & CPR that will help with the process. Getting a medical job before you graduate is really important. It might not be her dream job but at this point it's all about getting her foot in the door.

If she wants to utilize her LPN when she get it her choices are limited (as mentioned previously). She could get a job at a nursing home or maybe some sort of state/county job passing meds (jails? psych facilities? i really dont know). To echo the above, LPNs have been getting phased out for quite some time. Getting her RN is really necessary and most hospitals want their RNs to have a Bachelor's upon hire or within X years of hire.

Just like any career it's all about who you know, so get an aid job in a hospital, work hard, be nice and make sure you remind your manager that you'll be looking for a nursing job in a few years. It's really hard to get the nursing job you want fresh out of school, much less without any medical experience. Now is the time to start planting those seeds.

If you need any more advice feel free to PM me.

Edited by Sturg

What kind of nursing does she want to get into? What ever that is start applying for aid positions in her field of interest. If she's not set on anything i'd encourage her to start perusing the major hospital want ads (OSU, Children's, Ohiohealth & Mount Carmel) and get an aid job on a floor. If she has her STNA & CPR that will help with the process. Getting a medical job before you graduate is really important. It might not be her dream job but at this point it's all about getting her foot in the door.

If she wants to utilize her LPN when she get it her choices are limited (as mentioned previously). She could get a job at a nursing home or maybe some sort of state/county job passing meds (jails? psych facilities? i really dont know). To echo the above, LPNs have been getting phased out for quite some time. Getting her RN is really necessary and most hospitals want their RNs to have a Bachelor's upon hire or within X years of hire.

Just like any career it's all about who you know, so get an aid job in a hospital, work hard, be nice and make sure you remind your manager that you'll be looking for a nursing job in a few years. It's really hard to get the nursing job you want fresh out of school, much less without any medical experience. Now is the time to start planting those seeds.

If you need any more advice feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the advise everyone, that confirms our thoughts as well. She has been applying for jobs at the major hospitals and i believe she has an interview or two lined up already. The plan is to use the LPN as a stepping stone toward an RN/ BSN. The nice thing with the LPN program is it allows her to keep her full time job for now. That is why she is going that route for now.

Thanks again.