Project Sacrilege

Jeffrey

After much debate and deciding what to do with the GN after pulling the motor and coming to the realization I would need a new block to make the kind of power I was wanting to make I had a decision to make. Do I:

A.) stick with a 109 block

B.) upgrade to a stage II (BIG $$)

C.) upgrade to a TA aluminum block (Even bigger $$)

D.) Look at non V6 options

Well here is what I decided

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/blackbuick1987/20150124_171945-1_zpscuhjflqv.jpg

So far here is what I got.

5.3L LM7

317 heads that will be ported and polished

Tick Performance valve spring kit

Plans are as follows:

Wiseco 5.3 forged pistons

Either Callies Compstar 6.125 rods or LSA rods

Tick Performance Turbo Cam

LS9 gaskets

LS6 intake

4l80e transmission

and a 76mm single turbo.

I will try to update this thread as things come along until this is up and running.

Non turbo v6 in a GN? Why not just buy a cutless and not kill a GN?

Dissapointed, but good luck on the build.

Did not expect it to please everyone, hence the name Project Sacrilege, but the look of the GN is timeless and IMO the best looking G-body. Never been a fan of the Cutlass or MC.

Just working with what I have and I am keeping my V6 parts in case I ever decide to convert it back and throw the LS into something else. For now this is the direction I am going.

Its actually becoming a popular swap in the TR community. Turbobuick.com has a whole sub-forum dedicated to the swap. There are the purist but the reason most do it is because the reason I am doing it: lower cost, better drive-ability, much better reliability, and the much higher power capability.

I was fully planning on building a monster V6 for this car and had even sent the block off to get built. The builder came back and said that since the block had been rebuilt before there was not enough left in the cylinder walls to handle the power I was planning. To get a new block, and if one could even be found, would have been over $1200 for the block alone, plus another $1200 in machining alone to get it ready to be built. Start adding everything together in parts and I would have had nearly $10k in the engine build alone, thats with a 109 block that still has its weak points. Add another $3k to fix those weak points. I will have less than HALF that much in the entire swap and make way more power than a LC2 could. Sure I could step up to a Stage II block, but then we are talking $15,000+ and that is if I can find the rare parts. The TA aluminum block is another option but would be closer to $20k in building.

This way I get to keep a car that is sentimental to me but make monster power with it that I can enjoy for many, many years down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Things are starting to move along. I have the rods on order and should be here this week. The block will be making a trip to the machine shop as well. Hoping to have the engine in the car and start working on the turbo plumbing and wiring some time in March. Once the weather gets warmer I will get the car out of the garage to clean up the engine bay and start removing the AC system, factory wiring harness.

Once the engine gets back I will order the mounts and other stuff to get it bolted in.