TV Repair Shops

Versluis

So my dad has a Samsung 50" flat screen that is outside of warranty and it has stopped working. He has had it for a couple years but never really used it, just sat in their basement entertainment center. Our guess is that it is a capacitor or power source that has failed from articles on the interwebs.

He said he will give me the TV if I want it, but before I take it I want to see if this could be fixed for a reasonable price compared to just buying a new one.

Does anyone have experience with taking a TV somewhere for repair? Does anyone on here do repairs like this?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel (integramadmax) http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=8479 is the TV guru on CR. He owns a TV warranty service business. I suggest you PM him and ask his opinion. I'm not sure if he's alerted to PM's on CR or not, and he doesn't log-in often, so if you don't hear in a day or so, contact me and I'll give you his cell number. He's been a big help to me.

Daniel (integramadmax) http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=8479 is the TV guru on CR. He owns a TV warranty service business. I suggest you PM him and ask his opinion. I'm not sure if he's alerted to PM's on CR or not, and he doesn't log-in often, so if you don't hear in a day or so, contact me and I'll give you his cell number. He's been a big help to me.

Thanks Doc. I'll send him a message.

Same thing happened to my dads Samsung. Ordered a new power board for $80 and 3 months later it happened again.

I wouldn't waste your time

I'm afraid that is the response I would get. Some stuff I found online said that this model is issue prone. Just wanted to do some research before it got trashed.

we are dealing with the exact same thing right now, but on a 40in. Samsung. It's 12 screws to remove the panel, 6 for the power supply, and 5 minutes of soldering to fix it if it is just the caps. Most of the caps can be had for less than 1.00 each, and rarely do you need to replace more than 2. It looks like you already googled the issue, check youtube next. They went bad on tons of sammy tvs.

tom

we are dealing with the exact same thing right now, but on a 40in. Samsung. It's 12 screws to remove the panel, 6 for the power supply, and 5 minutes of soldering to fix it if it is just the caps. Most of the caps can be had for less than 1.00 each, and rarely do you need to replace more than 2. It looks like you already googled the issue, check youtube next. They went bad on tons of sammy tvs.

tom

That's the word on the street I guess. When you power the TV, it doesn't do anything and all you can do is hear a clicking noise. Is that similar to your problem?

Thompson Electronics on either broad or main. i can never remember. Gary and Karen own it, Gary is on here but doesn't post. they've got a hoard of vettes...even a ZR1 last i saw them.

Thanks for the referral! I'll have to check them out and they Corvette people :thumbup:

That's the word on the street I guess. When you power the TV, it doesn't do anything and all you can do is hear a clicking noise. Is that similar to your problem?

Ours takes 10-15 minutes to come on, but eventually works fine once powered on.

Tom