The CSMC DP-12 Shotgun

Mowgli1647545497

Didn't see a post on this, wanted to get the crew's thoughts.

DP-12 Double Barrel Shotgun

safe_image.php?d=AQDsJE-XlotGAC66&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsamerica.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FDP-12-1189.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1

I've been keeping an eye on this new shotty's development since Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Co. announced it/first-revealed it back around October.

They had a booth at this year's Shot Show and had some demo models on the shooting range for the attendees to check out. Apparently they went thru over 1100 shooters on the same gun without a single failure. A fair number of youtube vids out on it now, but they all tend to be the same intro material or a clip of the reporter at the booth or on the shoot line in Vegas.

What do you guys think? Been in the market for a bullpup shotty, and been saving my pennies for a 3rd or 4th gen UTAS-15 or Keltec KSG, but there are so many horror stories out there on both of them. Toyed with mounting the Remington 870 in a Bullpups Unlimited chassis, but losing teh 15+ shot capacity is a downside.

To me pros and cons are:

Pros:

Bullpup

Single billet aluminum receiver

Made in USA

Drop-in load (no push)

Bog simple design

Bottom eject (this is big as I'm a leftie)

Two pulls of the trigger per shuck

threaded chokes for the sexckzy chokes

integrated top rail

magpul compliant side channels for additional tacticool mounting

free rimjob by any chick that sees you holding it

Cons:

Since both tubes have to fire on each chuck there's no true selection of ammo ala the KSG or UTS15

New, so unproven (gen1 blues)

Almost as pricey as a KSG or UTS ($1395)

teardown / cleaning looks like it could be complicated (field strip?)

right now exclusive distribution thru CheaperThanDirt

I won't lie - that last one is a HUGE negative for me. Apparently CTD made them an outstanding offer, but hopefully they get to some other distributors soon and the CTD exclusive runs out. I kinda refuse to do business thru CTD anymore because of their gouging hijinks recently.

Some other vids:

I don't feel it will hold any long term value. It's a complicated design in a time that has more functional and less expensive proven platforms out there. It's neat. It just not justifiable. I can see these being blown out in 6 months for $899 and the $599.

I have a need for a bullpup formfactor and an extended magazine capacity so this solves those real requirements. I already have a Remington 870 Tactical Express for the long gun duties; pure unadulterated reliability and stone age simplicity, I love it.

This design seems the simplest of all the dual feed bullpup systems. Much more simple than the KSG or UTAS, since its not really a dual feed, but really two side by side. I just wish it had select feed, but then that adds complexity for little value, IMO. Its basically two 870s with down eject welded side by side, hard to get simpler than that.

I would love for them to dump value and be able to pick one up on gun broker for ~$600 but I seriously doubt that happening. If it did they'd have to totally TANK reviews and reliability (in which case I wouldn't buy one anyway). After all, the KSGs and UTAS's still are selling for near full value on the auction sites years on and both of those have had serious teething issues.

Going to keep my eye on this one. Will await wider reviews. If I do pick one up will report in on how it stacks up next to the 870.

The Kel Tecs (3) I've handled had build, feed, and loading issues. My friends that own them have reported significant reliability issues. Doubt I'd buy one used. I'd need that warranty.

But beyond that - I have problems with a couple of its design choices: as we did some stress scenarios, I found that loading that gun under stress introduced too many failure opportunities. We watched several guys end up shutting off the feed brake (shut off) without knowing it. Also the single well for both holes is an issue for me, you have to guide the shells in yourself and if you have big hands like my ham hocks its an issue. There's other issues I have with it, but those were big. I wanted to like it real bad.

To be fair the "pre feed" and wonky feeder doors is a big ding on the UTAS to me also. Feeding should be "do it in the dark" "can do it even when you're getting shot at" simple. So far, we've been able to trip up owners of both guns - who are very familiar with them - pretty severely using even mild stress inducement scenarios.

Also I think the DP-12 doesn't give the full listed capacity if you run 3". No such thing as the perfect gun

Edited by Mowgli