Apple/Mac users come on in please! Need macbook advice!

Slimpsy1647545505

Hey all!

I'm looking to trade a friend my extra gaming laptop (Lenovo Y580) which has a pretty good spec list. . (i7, bluray, dedicated graphics, full hd screen).

He is offering me an early 2011 13.3" Macbook Pro 2.3ghz i5, 4GB Ram, 256 SSD.

Now, I haven't used a mac for quite some time but I do know they hold their value better than a PC laptop. From doing a quick comparison on ebay the early 2011 macbooks seem to be all over the place so I cannot determine if the trade is fair for us both. The y580 seems to still go for 600 or so.

I just want to get into more video/audio editing with imovie and garageband and I figured this might be a good entry point for me to do that but didn't want to make a bad trade.

Thanks for any and all advice/help/guidance!

Well it's a spare computer and I didn't want to experience a newer mac in a VM enviroment I suppose. I definitely considered that option tho, but would it really provide me with the same productivity? My only concern is the y580 is considerably more powerful to the naked eye. . . is it a good trade for me or should I just sell the y580 and invest in a newer Macbook Air or something?