Bench Mill CNC Conversion

C-Mart

Does anyone have experience with this?

I picked this up this weekend from someone who has no experience with it. I need to sell the cnc stuff and use it as a hand mill or figure out which software to use and have some fun with it.

Everything works, I just need to figure out the computer part.

16353400188_8020fc861b_z.jpg

I built a CNCRouterParts machine, CRP-2448

7320b5516ea3410bdff499ae5f47e318.jpg

Do you have the Gecko controller? (Or other such module) You'll need to find a bit about your motors and drive setup.

You'll need a machine with Windows 98 and Mach3 installed. I used Vectric software (Aspire) for design and code.

The only thing this did not come with was a CPU to run it. It does have what looks to be an on board computer with a DB25/parallel port plug on the back.

Basically it is a HF bench mill with an aftermarket conversion. It came with the book the guy used to put it all together and seems to be a fairly common retrofit. To your point, yes I do need to get it cleaned up and start making a list of all the parts that are on there then I can start researching what CPU and software would work best. It did come with a few cds, but mach3 seems to be the standard.

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested I did get this pig running. Keyboard controlled for basic stuff and code controlled for anything complex/not in a straight line.

Can't decide if I want to keep it or sell. These things go for more than I thought.

I'll list it for $2500. Would sell if $2000. That include the machine and computer. Any less than that I'd rather keep it. It has been surprisingly useful for my project for making parts/shimming/finishing.

Sale would go toward me building a table unit.

I've spent some time in the manufacturing world, so I wouldn't mind having a bigger machine I could set and forget and make some money on. This is a great machine for 1 piece, but would be quite labor intensive for production quantities.